Professor and Director of User Experience Design and Founding Chair of Design (F015)
School/College: School of Visual and Performing Arts, College of the Arts
Location: Azusa Campus
Since its founding in 2013, the College of the Arts (COTA) has made significant strides in advancing our mission of being a premiere college focused on exceptional artistic development and the incorporation of authentic Christian faith. These dual aspirations extend and enrich our influence on culture. Through the innovation and dedication of COTA’s scholar-practitioner faculty, nearly 750 arts majors and 150 arts minors are shaped with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to follow their passion and fulfill their vocational calling across the disciplines of cinema, design, music, theater, and visual art.
Leading a brand new department of design, this faculty position directs the new Master of Arts in User Experience Design degree engaging the field of user interface and experience design. The program director will ensure academic excellence and innovation in user experience design, coordinate the curriculum and faculty of the program, teach courses in the field, promote partnerships that support student learning, corporate connections, internships, faculty practice, and research initiatives in user experience design. The School of Visual and Performing Arts, College of the Arts at Azusa Pacific University invite applications at this time.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in User Interface and Experience Design, able to provide thoughtful leadership, lead discourse, and have a familiarity with the history and current practices of the field. We are looking for candidates that show potential for exceptional research, excellence in teaching, and have an active record in their field. Position subject to final funding.
Specialization: User Interface and Experience Design
- Advance the APU mission, vision, and strategic plan.
- Maintain active professional scholarship.
- Ensure program compliance with State and Accreditation standards for Art education.
- Provide oversight assistance of assessment and revision, ensuring instruction is conducted with academic integrity and rigor
- Build new and maintain ongoing relationships with professional industry thought leaders, corporations and professional organizations
- Supervise assigned support staff
- Participates in faculty recruitment and evaluation
- Collaborate with the College of the Arts, Graduate Studies Students Services, and Adult Enrollment Services in matters of common concern
- Coordinate graduate class scheduling in user experience design
- With the chair of the department, coordinate adjunct faculty teaching in the user experience design program
- With the chair of the department, manage the budget of the graduate user experience design area
- Support student success and retention by working with other team members, faculty and advisors, while maintaining confidentiality of vital information.
- Serve on University committees as assigned.
- May be needed to work at alternative teaching sites.
- Additional responsibilities include providing support for faith integration across the curriculum, having an on-going professional research agenda, and active participation in service to the University through committee participation, School and/or University level as well as service to the broader professional community.
- The ability to teach in a variety of instructional environments including: online, face-to-face, and hybrid formats is required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean
Level: Faculty rank commensurate with experience.
Qualifications: Successful candidates will possess the following:
- At least a master’s degree in user experience design or a related field; in some cases, an MFA in design and experience may be suitable.
- Professional experience in user interface and experience design.
- Record of strong administrative experience, and excellent interpersonal skills required.
- A commitment to excellence in teaching and management.
- Ability to develop and evaluate new and existing programs.
- Active engagement in Curriculum and Program development.
- Transparent, collaborative leadership ability.
- A demonstrated, vibrant Christian faith compatible with the mission of Azusa Pacific University (Faculty members are required to sign a “Statement of Faith,” available at http://www.apu.edu/about/believe, and to adhere to the policies outlined in the Faculty Handbook)
Demonstration of collegial teamwork, desire to collaborate with colleagues and contribute to the College of Music and the Arts, Graduate Studies
Experience with assistive technology tools and instructional strategies
Experience: Professional expertise and experience commensurate with specific position requirements.
Hire Date: Open until filled.
- Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects.
- Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information.
- Ability to collaborate with other faculty and staff and maintain collegial relations.
- Self starter, ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
Candidates must align with Azusa Pacific University's Christian identity. Faculty members are expected to sign a Statement of Faith (available at http://www.apu.edu/about/believe), to adhere to the policies outlined in the Faculty Handbook, and to integrate the Christian faith in teaching and scholarship.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa Pacific University conducts background checks on all final candidates.
To apply, visit http://www.apu.edu/cp/employment/. Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled.