The Director of Membership is responsible for developing and implementing a strategic plan that drives membership growth, sustains retention, and meets annual revenue goals. The Director will provide reporting and analysis of member data, campaign results, and engagement with a view to continual improvement and enhanced member value. The Director also oversees daily member operations including timely and accurate dues collection, data management and quality, and excellent internal and external customer service.
Essential Job Duties or Tasks:
- Produces campaigns and tactics to acquire and retain members, coordinating these efforts closely with marketing activities to further enhance overall ACE member value.
- Establishes a creative and integrated membership-focused culture and seeks to keep the membership team motivated, trained and informed through regular communications and events.
- Works closely with and provides guidance to the Associate Specialist, Data Quality, to help build and maintain a CRM that ensures delivery of high quality data that is trusted and used by staff, and to assist with integration of other ACE functions in CRM
- Oversees all aspects of ACE’s member dues structure and billing and collections processes, including regular evaluation of the competitiveness and equity of dues rates, monitoring revenue flow, and identifying opportunities to improve efficiency.
- Ensures coordinated, sustained communications with members and prospective members, including overseeing the design, production, and distribution of collateral materials.
- Works in collaboration with the Communications Office (including Public Affairs, Marketing and Web Strategies and Operations) to develop a unified, progressive communications strategy for Membership operations.
- Communicates directly and regularly with the Membership Committee of the ACE Board and prepares board, sector, and committee reports concerning membership.
- Works closely with the Strategic Framework Core Team to develop and implement a plan to create a culture of membership within ACE and to integrate ENGAGE platform and regional summits into acquisition and retention materials and support member engagement in new platforms.
- Coordinates with president’s office and other ACE senior leaders to maximize meetings and travel schedules for recruitment and retention opportunities.
- Oversees the operation and budget of the Membership Department, supervises staff, and ensures professional development to grow the team’s talent and effectiveness.
Education/Experience/Specialized Knowledge and Competency Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in discipline. Substantive experience at the Associate Director Level.
- Management and supervision experience.
- Membership association experience.
- Experience with a constituent or membership association database.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Experience in higher education.
- Experience and knowledgeable of current association membership trends and best practices for identifying and implementing innovative programs, services, or initiatives that enhance member value.
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to collaborate and work effectively.
- Strategic thinker with a collaborative style of leadership that fosters teamwork and sustains a learning environment for staff.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills.
- Strong technical skills.
Working Conditions/Physical Effort:
Standard office environment. Some travel will be required to attend recruiting events, ACE events, and ACE board meetings.
A resume and cover letter are required during the application process.
The American Council on Education is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.