Faculty Positions, VCUarts
For the 2019-2020 Academic Year
VCUarts (https://arts.vcu.edu/) in Richmond, Virginia offers a variety of graduate and undergraduate degrees in design, fine and performing arts, art history, and art education, with a unique emphasis on creative immersion. Far more than receiving simply an education or preparation for a career; students leave VCUarts with the practical, professional and personal skills needed to make a life in the arts, no matter how they define it. That’s why VCUarts’ programs emphasize both doing and knowing: why the majority of its faculty are working artists, designers, performers, and scholars; and why they encourage students to take advantage of the many academic and intellectual opportunities that come with being part of a research university. Today, VCUarts graduates can be found throughout the academic and professional fields and have been recognized with everything from Emmys to MacArthur Fellowships.
VCUarts is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, the National Association of Schools of Dance, the National Association of Schools of Music, the National Association of Schools of Theatre, the Virginia Department of Education, the Council for Interior Design Accreditation and the National Council for Accreditation for Teacher Education.
VCUarts is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural and inclusive environment and strongly encourages applications from all racial/ethnic, gender and social identities. VCUarts faculty provide leadership by mentoring students; fostering collaborative and hybrid curriculum and research across the arts and broader campus; demonstrate through research, teaching, and/or public engagement the richness of diversity in the learning experience; and integrate multicultural approaches and perspectives into instructional methods.
Collaboration-minded innovators who are committed to working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student body at VCU and who have qualifications, experience, and demonstrated strengths across their area(s) of expertise are invited to apply for the following faculty positions:
- Generalist with emphasis on creative utilization of digital technology in instructional methods
- 9-month Assistant Professor; tenure eligible; PhD in Art Education or related field required
- Hamad bin Khalifa Endowed Chair in Islamic Art
- 9-month Professor; tenure eligible; PhD in Art History required.
Cinema + Communication Arts
- Pre-visualization, digital cinema, VFX look development and VFX post-production
- 12-month Assistant Professor; tenure eligible; MA/MFA/MS or equivalent training and professional experience required
- Games, Gaming, and Gamification
- 9-month Assistant Professor; tenure eligible; MA/MFA/MS or equivalent training and professional experience in the areas of digital media, interactive arts, computer science or a related field required
Dance + Choreography
- Lighting Designer and Stage Manager
- Instructor; non-tenure eligible; MFA strongly preferred, or the equivalent training and professional experience
Interior Design + Graphic Design
- Design in Simulation, Spatial and Data Visualization
- 9-month Assistant Professor; tenure eligible; MFA or terminal degree in design or design-related field, which may include, but is not limited to, experience in: Interior Design, Graphic Design, Product Design, Industrial Design, Experience Design, Computational Design or Architecture required
Music + Cinema
- Composition and Sound Design for cinema, games, and motion media
- 9-month Assistant/Associate Professor; tenure-eligible; DMA/PhD in composition or equivalent professional training and experience required
- Digital Futures
- 9-month Assistant Professor; tenure-eligible; MFA or equivalent professional training and experience required
- Technical Director
- Assistant Professor; non-tenure eligible; MFA in Theatre with an emphasis on Technical Direction/Theatre or an equivalent combination of training and professional experience required
Candidates for tenure-eligible positions must have an established research agenda and a clear potential for, or a strong interest in developing external funding, as appropriate, and potential for scholarship or creative expression to complement and expand existing expertise in the department(s).
Position announcements, qualifications, and application instructions are available online at VCU eJobs: vcujobs.com.
Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to providing accessible and equitable living, learning and working environments free from discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability.