Assistant or Associate Professor of Biology (F151)
School/College: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Department: Biology and Chemistry
Location: Azusa Campus
Description: The Department of Biology and Chemistry invites applications for a full-time faculty position in Biology. Applicants with the ability to teach undergraduate courses in cell biology or microbiology may be given special consideration.
Currently, the department has 21 full-time faculty members. Our faculty teach undergraduate courses for allied health, biology, biochemistry, and chemistry majors, service courses for other STEM majors, and general education courses in biology and chemistry. The department offers a strong undergraduate curriculum, preparing students for graduate programs and vocational success. Position subject to final funding.
Specialization: Cell biology and/or Microbiology preferred
- Teach upper- and lower-division lecture and lab courses (up to 24 teaching units per academic year)
- Conduct research involving undergraduate students
- Participate in mentoring and academic advising of undergraduate students
- Participate in department and university affairs
Level: Rank and salary are dependent on experience and qualifications.
- An earned doctorate in a biological science or health profession
- Demonstrated ability to teach a broad range of undergraduate biology courses
- A commitment to teaching excellence in an undergraduate, liberal arts program
- Knowledge of the field with a record of scholarship and a willingness to conduct research in an undergraduate setting
- Desire to mentor undergraduate students in their course work, research, and career goals
- A demonstrated, vibrant Christian faith compatible with the mission of Azusa Pacific University
All candidates should have experience teaching biology at the university level and an active research program and/or relevant experience in industry.
Workload: Full-time; up to 24 units of teaching per academic year
Hire Date: Position begins August 16, 2019. Open until filled.
- Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects.
- Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information.
- Ability to collaborate with other faculty and staff and maintain collegial relations.
- Self-starter, ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
Successful candidates will align with Azusa Pacific University's Christian identity. Faculty members are expected to sign a Statement of Faith (available at http://www.apu.edu/about/believe), to adhere to the policies outlined in the Faculty Handbook, and to integrate the Christian faith in teaching and scholarship.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa Pacific University conducts background checks on all final candidates.
To apply, visit http://www.apu.edu/cp/employment/. Position will remain open until filled.