Job Number: 81145
Founded in 1892 by the first graduating class, and situated on Stanford's iconic campus, the Stanford Alumni Association (SAA) has a mission to reach, serve and engage all Stanford alumni and students; to foster lifelong intellectual and emotional connections between the university and its alumni; and to provide the university with goodwill and support. SAA engages in a broad range of activities including events production, volunteer recruitment and management, publishing, travel/study programs, community management, career/professional networking services, and broad-based communication.
The Accounting department of SAA is responsible for SAA's accounting, operating budget and financial reporting functions. The group also assumes the responsibility for ensuring compliance with University policies and regulatory requirements and serves as a liaison to the University central accounting and finance offices. The team provides periodic financial information to SAA management and coordinates regulatory tax and financial reporting needs with the University central offices.
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
Under the direct supervision of the manager/director, perform a variety of regular and recurring professional accounting functions involving fiscal interpretation and analysis, reconciliations, and reviews of multiple accounts and transactions.
- Analyze accounting transactions and information from multiple systems to summarize current financial position at the unit or organization-wide level. Construct and assemble data for decision making; develop conclusions and present a high-level summary of recommendations.
- Capture, track, and report revenue and expenses; determine appropriate procedures for accounting record preparation, research of transactions and reporting. Oversee, reconcile, and resolve problems relative to complicated accounts.
- Collect data and perform research on details of transactions. Generate, review, analyze and communicate financial data that reflects actual financial performance against approved budgets. Prepare and present quantitative and qualitative analyses focusing on variances from budget and prior data.
- Identify and resolve incorrect journal entries, data anomalies, deviations from established procedures, and unusual issues.
- Maintain and review accounting process controls; recommend and implement any approved modifications; perform preliminary analysis and recommend solutions. Develop and maintain desktop procedures and process documentation for the area of responsibility.
- Run and analyze financial reports, often from multiple systems; prepare management information reports.
- Execute internal control programs established by management, research new regulations, and recommend and implement approved changes.
- Contribute to unit and organization strategy; assist in the development of change management plans and materials as needed. Participate as a member of a project team; support new initiatives. Make decisions determining the approach to managing and completing processes.
- Participate in critical analysis of existing systems and processes, and identify opportunities for process improvement. Define requirements, develop and implement complex test cases, perform system testing and analyze results.
- Serve as a resource to local departments to resolve accounting-related issues.
- Act as a lead, train, coach, and review the work of other staff, as needed. Contribute primarily through applying individual expertise.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree plus four years of applicable experience, or combination of education and relevant work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Intermediate proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office; intermediate Excel skills. Prefer advanced proficiency in Excel.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with accounting systems and the internet; computer literacy.
- Understanding of and ability to apply accounting skills and concepts.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Demonstrated communication skills, including the ability to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal audiences and client groups.
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to contribute as part of a project team.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, sort, file paperwork or parts, grasp lightly, and use fine manipulation, lift, carry, push and pull objects that weigh 10 pounds or less.
- Occasionally write by hand, twist, bend, stoop and squat.
- Rarely stand, walk, reach or work above shoulders and use a telephone.
- May work extended hours during peak business cycles.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Job Family: Finance
Job Series: Accounting
Job Code: 4442
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Location: Alumni Association, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency