Sponsored Project Specialist
Areas of Intereset: Research
Functional Areas: Research Institutes and Labs
Department: Joint Institute for Laboratory Astrophysics (JILA)
Requisition Number: 14336
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: University Staff
Posting Close Date: 16-Nov-2018
JILA is now welcoming applications for a Sponsored Project Specialist whose primary responsibility is for sponsored project accounting and administration from pre-award to close-out for assigned sponsored projects; and for managing the financial, billing and accounting records for JILA’s Rate-Based Service Activities and general funds.
Responsible to ensure that assigned sponsored research awards are administered in compliance with all applicable regulations, for closing projects, for reviewing and/or preparing a variety of financial transactions, for providing in-depth information or performing research on questions related to sponsored projects; for assistance in proposal preparation including budgets and supporting documentation, preparing financial analysis and reports on an as-needed basis, and for advising JILA administration and Principal Investigators on sponsored project issues. Responsible to ensure JILA’s Shops and general funds are accounted for and administered in compliance with all applicable regulations, for performing shop billing with accuracy and for ensuring related documentation is in place.
Who We Are
JILA was founded in 1962 as a joint institute of CU Boulder and NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology). JILA's fellows includes two Nobel laureates, Eric Cornell and John Hall. JILA's CU members hold faculty appointments in the Departments of Physics; Astrophysical and Planetary Science, Chemistry and Biochemistry; and Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology as well as in the School of Engineering (JILA pays for summer research funding- 28 Fellows). NIST’s Quantum Physics Division members hold adjoint faculty appts at CU in the same departments. Each year, JILA scientists publish more than 200 original research papers in national and international scientific journals & conference proceedings.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Essential Job Functions
- Sponsored Project Pre and Post Award Accounting and Administration.
- RBSA and general fund accounting and budget management.
- Administrative duties in support of JILA research administration.
- Prepare documents and assist assigned JILA Fellows and the JILA Proposal Analyst with preparation of required documents for funding proposals, including budgets, budget justifications, current and pending, etc.
- Ensure all expenditures on assigned awards are appropriate, allocable and reasonable and within JILA, CU and sponsor standards. This activity can include:
- Review purchases and transactions for allowability
- Ensure appropriate documentation is present for sensitive and other expenditures
- Verification of outstanding obligations
- Research issues as they arise
- Oversee post award administration for assigned projects including:
- project start-up including pre-award cost allowability;
- review of award documents for special requirements;
- project closeouts, including property reports;
- no-cost and other period of performance extensions;
- coordinate with Sponsored Projects Accounting, Office for Contracts & Grants and sponsors as needed/appropriate;
- Review accounting and budget records for accuracy and make corrections via journal entry if/as needed.
- Prepare billings for JILA Rate-Based Service Activities (JILA Shops).
- Responsible for maintaining accounting records to accurately reflect financial activity occurring in the JILA Shops and general funds and for preparing related financial analysis and reports as needed.
- Serve as a resource in explaining, researching and administering a wide variety of sponsored projects including: grants, contracts, sub-contracts, fixed price contracts, funding mechanisms from private sponsors. Provide advice to JILA administration and Principal Investigators on complicated or unusual projects or requirements.
- Actively contribute to the development of JILA procedures, forms, training others and ensuring compliance as requested.
- Perform other administrative duties and complete other paperwork as necessary.
What We Can Offer
The anticipated salary is $45,000.00-$65,000.00, commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Informed. Be Resourceful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business or related field.
- Appropriate experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis.
- Demonstrated experience of sponsored research administration practices.
- Demonstrated experience in preparing journal entries, reconciling complex financial accounts and preparing financial analysis.
What You Will Need
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively track and monitor a large number of concurrent projects and tasks.
- Positive outlook, sense of humor and appreciation for individual differences in people.
- Proficient in use of excel and accounting software and basic understanding of database systems.
- Demonstrated competency in understanding and interpreting financial information and reports.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and positively with a variety of persons, in writing and verbally.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Knowledge of and experience using CU accounting and sponsored research systems.
- Experience with CU purchasing and expense/travel systems.
- Knowledge of pre-award and post-award administration with JILA’s main sponsors – NSF and DOD.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A current cover letter.
- In addition to your cover letter, please include a one page statement (last page of your cover letter document) of how you specifically meet the criteria for this position by addressing the areas listed in the "what we require, what you will need, and what we would like you to have" sections of the job posting.
Please apply by November 16, 2018 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer