Executive Director, National Security
Areas of Intereset: Law Enforcement/Security
Functional Areas: Research & Innovation Office
Department: Research and Innovation Office (RIO)
Requisition Number: 14208
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: University Staff
Posting Close Date: 30-Nov-2018
The Research & Innovation Office at CU Boulder is welcoming applications for an Executive Director, National Security who will be responsible for leading efforts to enhance the campus national security-related research enterprise. This position will report directly to the Vice Chancellor of Research and Innovation. The Executive Director will lead an effort to bring the CU Boulder research community together to contribute more comprehensively to national security related R&D, including growing the research portfolio, providing domain expertise to campus, standing up a National Security Faculty Advisory Board, drafting and executing a strategic plan, identifying challenges, opportunities, and innovative solutions to conducting national security-related research, and positioning CU Boulder as a valued resource and thought leader for Federal and industry defense and security initiatives.
The Executive Director will work closely and collaborate with campus leadership, faculty, academic units, and business support services to articulate and focus cross-campus strengths and catalyze compelling initiatives in areas of emerging interest for the Department of Defense (DoD), Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the Intelligence Community (IC), other relevant agencies, and industry partners. In addition to identifying and connecting faculty to funding opportunities, the Executive Director will work with deans, department chairs, faculty and administration, including research development, compliance, sponsored programs, university counsel, industry collaboration, and government relations, to identify resources needed to build infrastructure and business operations enabling increased national security-related research.
The Executive Director must have a results-focused mentality with the ability to operate at both strategic and operational levels to substantially increase CU Boulder research expenditures in national security related areas.
Who We Are
The University of Colorado Boulder’s Research & Innovation Office (RIO) is the central point for support and advocacy for CU Boulder’s world-class scholarship, creative work and research.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Lead national security research development efforts. Work with CU Boulder faculty and staff to identify key CU Boulder research strengths and map them to national security agency and industry requirements.
- Work with Federal agency program managers, policy makers, and industry partners to increase the number and size of funded research projects in defense and security-related areas.
- Grow CU Boulder’s reputation, credibility, and visibility in the national security community.
- Develop/refine and implement CU Boulder’s strategic plan for national security engagement.
- Serve as a campus subject matter expert on national security research and workforce development needs.
- Engage with external and internal constituents, with support from the Research and Innovation Office, the Office of Government Relations, and the Office of Industry Collaboration.
Research Administration and Management
- Lead cross-campus national security engagement efforts, including annual program development and execution.
- Hire and manage of staff/consultants as necessary, including operations manager to support the Executive Director.
- Standup and manage faculty advisory board.
- Work with CU Boulder administrative elements such as Office of Contracts and Grants, Office of Research Integrity and Compliance, Office of Finance and Business Strategy, and University Counsel to maximize CU Boulder’s ability to conduct conditional, applied, restricted, and classified research (e.g., export control, publication rights, data rights).
What You Should Know
- Require travel on a regular basis to Washington DC.
- Irregular work hours including evenings and weekends may be required .
What We Can Offer
- We can offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Dynamic. Be Strategic. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Master's degree in science, engineering, management or related field or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of ten years of experience in science, engineering, research development or program management with a demonstrated record of increasing responsibility.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in a leadership role at federal agency, or company working in the national security arena.
What You Will Need
- Demonstrated record of success and credibility within both the national security and academic communities.
- Strong depth of knowledge of national security initiatives relevant to academic institutions, experience leading or managing such projects.
- Strong interpersonal and liaison skills, including the ability to interact effectively with a broad group of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated high-level administration and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work within a complex matrixed structure across colleges and university administration.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Planning, Programming, Budgeting and Execution (PPBE) process within DoD.
What We Would Like You To Have
- A minimum of two years of experience working in a collaborative and interdisciplinary role at, or with, an academic institution.
- Experience working in program management within the DoD, preferably within a Research, Engineering, Science, Technology Research or Policy organization.
- Active and or previous security clearance with the ability to obtain a clearance.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
This position will close on November 30, 2018
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer