Areas of Intereset: Engineering
Functional Areas: Research Institutes and Labs
Department: Biofrontiers Institute
Requisition Number: 14292
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: University Staff
Posting Close Date: 30-Nov-2018
The BioFrontiers Institute at CU Boulder welcomes applications for a Web Developer to support the mission of the Institute in advancing interdisciplinary scientific research toward tangible goals. In this position you will be responsible for maintaining and improving web resources and data visualization tools. Candidates who bring a mastery of modern web frameworks and visualization libraries will find themselves shaping the ongoing development of platforms to advance the mission of the Institute: "to uncover new knowledge at the frontiers of science and partner with industry to transform their discoveries into new tools.
Who We Are
At the University of Colorado BioFrontiers Institute, researchers from the life sciences, physical sciences, computer science and engineering are working together to uncover new knowledge at the frontiers of science and partnering with industry to transform their discoveries into new tools.
The BioFrontiers Institute is uniquely defined both by our excellent faculty, research, and leadership and by the scientific and geographical ecosystem that empowers our work. BioFrontiers has a unique "frontier" culture that allows our researchers to explore new areas of bioscience by leveraging the resources and talents across the Institute and the university system. The Institute integrates faculty members from ten academic departments, allowing them to work across disciplines.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Maintenance and Improvement of Existing Web Presence
- Have primary responsibility over upkeep of the existing BioFrontiers web resources.
- Ensure the uptime and responsiveness of existing web tools.
- Work with interested parties to expand and develop new features.
Creation, Design and Implementation of New Web Tools
- Work with interested parties to scope new web technologies and take them from whiteboard through creation and maintenance.
What We Can Offer
Salary starting at $55,000 and commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Brilliant. Be Innovative. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor's Degree
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis.
- 1-2 years of web programming experience.
- Version control and source code management experience.
- Experience with database management, including SQL.
What You Will Need
- Great people skills - You will be working hands-on with researchers of all levels to help implement their ideas and communicate the important science being done at BioFrontiers. Can you translate their drawing on a napkin into a functional web system?
- Attention to detail - Once the systems are up you’ll need to make sure they are available, backed up, failure tolerant, and performing appropriately. A good candidate will be able to ensure these systems keep running and don’t require frequent attention.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Full stack experience - We have admins to get you off the ground but experience from Linux to browser would be helpful to get you rolling.
- Python experience - Many of the web platforms supported by BioFrontiers are python based, having this experience would put you ahead of the pack.
- Data-viz technologies - Have you worked with D3, graph databases, or mobile apps? Bring your skills and show us how we could be doing things better.
- Previous experience in a scientific field.
- Experience with the Linux operating system, especially as an administrator of multiple web systems.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by November 30, 2018.
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer