Accounting Technician II
Areas of Intereset: Business/Management
Functional Areas: College of Arts & Sciences
Department: Office of Personnel in the College of Arts and Sciences
Requisition Number: 14093
Location: Boulder, CO
Employment Type: Classified Staff
Posting Close Date: 11-Nov-2018
This position acts as the accounting specialist for multiple departments, programs, and centers within the College of Arts & Sciences. Responsibilities include assisting with general departmental financial management, processing expense reimbursements, administrating procurement card transactions and purchase orders, as well as participating in various special projects.
Who We Are
The College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Colorado Boulder is the intellectual core of the university, conducting research, scholarship, creative work and education in more than 60 fields. Our research generates new knowledge, solving some of the world’s most critical problems.
The college leads nationally in undergraduate and graduate education in the natural sciences, social sciences and arts and humanities, bringing world-class research and scholarship to our students, both in and out of the classroom.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Assist with Departmental Financial Management
- Work with supervision, acts as accounting specialist for multiple departments, programs, and centers within the College of Arts & Sciences.
- Evaluate departmental needs and accounting practices.
- Identify issues & problems, conducts research, and then creates/implements solutions based on the individual department needs.
- Create new/revised processes, forms and reports to be used by each assigned department, as well as, by the FSC organization and College of Arts & Sciences.
- Interact with faculty, students and staff to obtain information, investigate/resolve problems and advise individuals.
- Interact with the A&S Budget Office, CCO, SPA, PSC, AP, Travel, and other campus organizations.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, university, and A&S policies and procedures.
- Enter journal entries and/or cash transfers, as needed.
- Assist Managers with special projects pertaining to assigned departmental finances.
- Train and mentors new FSC staff.
Process Expense Reimbursements and Vendor Payments via the PSC
- Facilitate the expense reimbursement processes for assigned FSC departments.
- Instruct a traveler on proper protocol for university-related business travel.
- Explain to an individual the process of reimbursing business-related expenses and to a vendor the process of paying invoices.
- Receive requests from departments to reimburse individuals for travel and general expenses, and to pay vendor invoices.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, university and college travel and business expense policies including the State Travel Guidelines, Propriety of Expenditures, Sensitive Expenditures, Official Functions, and project specific rules.
- Reimburse travelers for appropriate expenses, reallocate charges to appropriate FOPPS.
- Decide whether or not to escalate requests for reimbursement of questionable expenses.
- Prepare Expense reports or Payment Authorization as appropriate, distributes charges to appropriate FOPPS, and ensures timely reimbursement of expenses.
Administers Procurement Card Program for Departments
- Collect receipts from cardholders, creates expense reports and reallocates charges to appropriate FOPPS.
- Help cardholders understand how to properly use the card and comply with PSC rules and regulations.
- Decide whether or not charges are appropriate per federal, state, university, college, department, or project restrictions.
- Decide whether or not to escalate questionable charges to higher-level decision makers (e.g. FSC Manger, A&S Budget Office Director, Campus Controller).
- Identify & investigates problems with lost/incomplete receipts, cardholder use violations, and vendor disputes.
- Request the set-up of new cardholder accounts and requests changes/closures by working closely with department staff, Chair/Director and Procurement card administration.
Procurement of Goods and Services via Purchase Orders, SPO and Payment Voucher
- Receive requests from FSC departments for purchasing of goods and services.
- Evaluate requests per federal, state, university & college policies, and then decides on the most appropriate means of purchase.
- Enter Purchase Requisitions and Payment voucher in CU Marketplace as per PSC and A&S policies and procedures.
- Request new and renewal of Standing Purchase Orders through the CU Marketplace as appropriate.
- Investigate and resolves problems related to receipt of goods and services by working with the PSC, faculty, department staff, and vendors. Ensures accuracy of charges.
- Assist and participate in special projects as requested by A&S budget office, Campus community and/or FSC Managers
What We Can Offer
Starting salary will be $38,004.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Adaptable. Be Entrepreneurial. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Two years of technical accounting experience.
- SUBSTITUTION: college, university, or non-correspondence business school coursework which included eighteen (18) semester credit hours of accounting can substitute for up to one year of the required experience.
- Must be a Colorado resident.
What You Will Need
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Motivated, proactive, and self-starting.
- Problem solving skills.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to follow departmental policies and guidelines.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
What We Would Like You To Have
- 1 year of experience working in a professional office environment.
- Experience using Concur Travel & Expense Reimbursement software.
- Experience using Procurement software.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume. Must include date ranges and whether full time or part time work. 2. A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position. 3. DD-214 for veteran applicants. a. Qualified veterans are eligible for veteran’s preference points within the State classified system. If you are a veteran and would like to have your DD214 evaluated to determine your eligibility for preference points, please attach a copy of your DD214 to this posting. If you do not wish to upload a DD214, please email a copy to [email protected] or send via fax at 303-492-4693 and reference the job to which you are applying. 4. If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by November 11, 2018.
Select here for additional information regarding Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer