Assistant Security Operations Manager
Areas of Intereset: Law Enforcement/Security
Functional Areas: Libraries
Department: Library Administration
Requisition Number: 14366
Location: Boulder, CO
Employment Type: Classified Staff
Posting Close Date: 16-Nov-2018
In this role, your primary responsibility will be to ensure the safety of the Libraries' patrons and staff, and the security and proper use of the buildings’ properties and collection materials. In this role you will hire, train and supervise student employees, deploying them as needed to monitor entrances, conduct hourly rounds, and enforce Security and building policies. You will also ensure the proper closing of the buildings at night and transfer of responsibilities to CUPD Community Service Operations, if applicable. In case of an emergency, you will call and assist emergency personnel (CUPD, fire, Facilities Management). It will also be your responsibility to maintain statistics regarding building use, document security incidents, and help monitor and maintain our electronic security systems.
Who We Are
The University of Colorado Boulder Libraries are a dynamic partner in creating, disseminating, and advancing scholarship. We inspire learning, research, and discovery by connecting knowledge, information, and people.
We are the heart of higher education, providing essential scholarly resources, user-centered services, and inclusive spaces to the University, local, and global communities.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Assist in the implementation of the Libraries security program. Detect violations of Libraries and Campus security and building policies, regulations, and laws by patrolling buildings (includes Norlin Library and four branch libraries) and by responding to reports of violations. Report violations as appropriate. Discourage unauthorized removal of materials by monitoring theft detection systems, video surveillance and access technology. Secure library at the end of each business day.
- Primary supervisor of student guards. Advertise, hire, train, and schedule 40+ student guards over each semester. Post ads, interview and hire student guards. Organize individual and group trainings for guards. Schedule guards in shared systems to cover 100+ open hours weekly for Libraries. Evaluate guards to assure their accountability. Manage Employee Cloud Services such as shift changes, schedules, and round information via Google Docs and Sling applications.
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll. Verify and process time cards for student security guards. Prepare payroll report for HR payment and internal budgeting. Track student guard absenteeism.
- Provide support during security and building activities and emergency incidents. Monitor buildings and projects for safety issues; document crimes or incidents by completing written reports; and respond as needed during security and building emergencies. In emergencies, may be asked to be on-call to provide support.
- Operate Lost and Found for Norlin Library building. Receive, register and protect found personal property as it is turned in. Return lost items to rightful owners or, as campus policy dictates, forward property to proper entity.
What You Should Know
Standard work schedule is from 4 p.m. to midnight Sunday through Thursday. Hours may vary based building hours and department needs.
What We Can Offer
The anticipated annualized salary for this position starts at $35,064.
This position may also be eligible for a shift differential.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Collaborative. Be Inclusive. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- One year of experience relevant to the position.
- Must be a current Colorado resident.
What You Will Need
- Ability to cultivate and advocate for an environment of diversity, inclusion, and respect.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Undergraduate degree.
- Experience working with students.
- Successful experience handling challenging personal interactions tactfully.
- Experience working in an academic library or environment.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume. Must include date ranges and whether full time or part time work.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
- DD-214 for veteran applicants.
- Qualified veterans are eligible for veteran’s preference points within the State classified system. If you are a veteran and would like to have your DD214 evaluated to determine your eligibility for preference points, please attach a copy of your DD214 to this posting. If you do not wish to upload a DD214, please email a copy to [email protected] or send via fax at 303-492-4693 and reference the job to which you are applying.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by November 16, 2018 for consideration.
Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Select here for additional information regarding Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer