CDL Driver - Solid Waste Collections
Areas of Intereset: Driving/Transportation
Functional Areas: Infrastructure & Sustainability
Department: Facilities Management
Requisition Number: 14350
Employment Type: Classified Staff
Posting Close Date: 22-Nov-2018
Facilities Management at CU Boulder is looking for a CDL Driver to operate trash trucks and automated recycling trucks on our beautiful Boulder campus. Applicants must have a CDL and three years of experience operating heavy duty equipment.
As a CDL Driver at CU Boulder, you will receive excellent benefits including:
• Paid vacation and sick leave
• 10 paid holidays
• Medical, vision, and dental insurance
• Life insurance
• Tuition reimbursement
• EcoPass for free RTD rides (in Metro Area – can be used at any time)
• An unparalleled retirement plan with an employer contribution at 18% of your salary
Who We Are
Facilities Management's Recycling department collects over 1000 tons of recyclables per year and over 2000 tons of trash from the academic and research buildings on the CU-Boulder campus. Currently, the campus diversion rate is approximately 42% (the amount of waste that is diverted from the landfill and is either reused, recycled, or composted). Our goal is to reach a 90% diversion rate by the year 2020.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Solid Waste Collections
- Collect solid waste from trash dumpsters by emptying dumpsters using a front loader three-axel trash truck following a specified route schedule supplied by supervisor.
Automated Recycling Collections
- Collect recyclables from polycarts in the housing areas of campus using the residential cart tipper package on the trash truck following a specified route schedule supplied by supervisor.
- Clean, replace or repair polycarts as needed and ensure that the polycarts are properly labeled by material type (with correct marking stickers).
- Use route sheets and other record keeping tools to verify collection of solid waste (from pre-designated route).
- Note the time and quantity of material collected.
- Record problems with the collection of the material or container damage. Report damage or contamination to supervisor in a timely manner.
Vehicle and Equipment Maintenance
- Perform daily preventive maintenance on vehicles by checking fluid levels, cleaning out vehicle body, checking seals, brakes and lubricating zirk points, and performing other Department of Transportation required inspections.
- Clean, repair, or replace dumpsters and/or polycarts as needed or requested during student breaks: spring, summer, winter.
- Deliver solid waste to established landfill or transfer station, properly eject the load, and clean compactor area of truck.
- Deliver recyclables to established processing facility, eject load into proper area of facility, and clean compactor area of truck.
What You Should Know
- This position requires a valid Colorado Commercial Driver’s license, based on the federal regulations found here: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=r49cfr391.11-a
- This position will require the incumbent to exert in excess of 100 lbs of force frequently.
- The position is full-time, working four days per week, 10 hours per day. Weekend work required (rotating every three months between staff).
What We Can Offer
The annual salary range for this position is $39,684-$44,656.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Supportive. Be Resourceful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Must be a current Colorado resident in order to apply.
- A valid Colorado Commercial Driver’s license.
- At least three years of experience in the operation of heavy duty equipment (Equipment capable of carrying loads weighing more than 4 tons, and having two or more axles and two or more gears).
- Applicant must be able to pass Criminal and Motor Vehicle background check.
What You Will Need
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Customer service
- Interpersonal skills
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience operating a front-load trash truck
- Experience operating rear-load trash trucks
- Experience with minor welding
- Basic computer skills including ability to enter time cards electronically plus monitor and respond to e-mail correspondence
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume. Must include date ranges and whether full time or part time work.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
3. DD-214 for veteran applicants.
a. Qualified veterans are eligible for veteran’s preference points within the State classified system. If you are a veteran and would like to have your DD214 evaluated to determine your eligibility for preference points, please attach a copy of your DD214 to this posting. If you do not wish to upload a DD214, please email a copy to [email protected] or send via fax at 303-492-4693 and reference the job to which you are applying.
4. If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by November 22, 2018 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Select here for additional information regarding Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants
This position is designated "essential services." The incumbent is required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies (snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event) and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during emergency campus closures.
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer