Payroll and Personnel Coordinator (AAIII)
Areas of Intereset: Administrative Support
Functional Areas: College of Engineering & Applied Science
Department: Department of Computer Science
Requisition Number: 14250
Location: Boulder, CO
Employment Type: Classified Staff
Posting Close Date: 19-Nov-2018
The Department of Computer Science and CU Boulder welcome applications for a Payroll and Personnel Coordinator. This position provides payroll and personnel support for the department and collaborates with the Finance Manager, the Research Grant Manager and the Human Resource Service Center (HRSC). In particular, this position provides assistance in the hiring of employees, bi-weekly time collection, solving HR related issues and dealings as they arise, assisting with international student hires and international visas, as well as other personnel matters.
Who We Are
Founded in 1970, the Department of Computer Science at CU Boulder is focused on real-world, interdisciplinary experiences for our students. Our researchers are making advances in computer science today that will change the world tomorrow.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Payroll and Personnel
- Create and maintain the department’s master payroll tracking table with employee information which is needed in order to hire employees throughout each semester.
- Work with the department Graduate Advisor to determine levels of pay for Teaching Assistants, Graduate Research Assistants and Graduate Assistants.
- Send hire requests, updates, or corrections to the HRSC or enter the information directly into the payroll system. Monitor the status of the completion of hires through the payroll system and follows up with the HRSC when needed.
- Create payroll expense transfers (PETs) to correct payroll entries which have already posted to the Finance System.
- Run payroll registers for review by Finance Manager to ensure payroll has paid out correctly.
- Reconcile payroll overpayments.
- Assist with completion of Additional Pay forms and with connecting with the HRSC for entry of additional pay into the payroll system.
- Enter, update or correct funding distribution data.
- Help generate student offer letters through the department’s internal process and help generate non-student letters through the CU Boulder Jobs System for various classifications of employees.
- Work with international students to complete paper work needed to obtain social security card.
- Help new faculty work with the International Student and Scholar Services Department to obtain H-1B visa and permanent residency. Help faculty with submission of DS2019 documentation for international hires who require visas.
- Work with faculty and student employment when hiring students from other institutions into a CU student job classification.
- Track and monitor all bi-weekly payroll to ensure they are paid properly, connect with the HR Service Center if any discrepancies are found. Send off-cycle pay requests for bi-weekly late pay to the HRSC and ensure they’re entered correctly. Communicate with the student when to expect the off cycle payment.
- Enter bi-weekly earnings as they are paid out, into the department’s non-grant budget tracking spreadsheets which allows the Finance Manager to quickly and accurately reconcile financial transactions which have posted to the general ledger.
- Maintain an email distribution list of all bi-weekly employees and supervisors and notify them before each bi-weekly payroll deadline to submit or approve timesheets for processing.
- Notify bi-weekly employees when they have been hired into the payroll system and provide them with instructions on when and how to submit their timesheet using MyLeave. Trains faculty supervisors of bi-weekly employees on how and when to approve timesheets using MyLeave.
- Create ical link through gmail with bi-weekly timesheet submission and approval due dates and share this with bi-weekly students and faculty so that the date are automatically added to their electronic calendars.
- Collaborate with the Communications Specialist to keep the department website updated with bi-weekly submission, approval and payout dates for each semester.
- Assist with faculty post-tenure review.
- Work with the Finance Manager and the College and Campus contacts to coordinate the research faculty raise and evaluation process.
- Submit new org and speedtype requests to the Campus Controller’s Office and manages speedtype fiscal role access.
- Create journal entries (JEs), budget journal entries, cash transfers, and gift fund transfers as requested by the Finance Manager and Research Grant Manager.
- Undertake other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What You Should Know
- The typical work schedule will be Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.
- RTD Eco Pass is included.
What We Can Offer
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $42,336.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Driven. Be Proactive. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Three years of general clerical experience. College or university coursework appropriate to the work assignment may substitute on a year for year basis for the experience.
- Must be a Colorado resident.
What You Will Need
- Demonstrates strong customer service skills with the ability to communicate efficiently and effectively.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Problem solving skills and ability to think critically.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Proficiency with MS Excel.
- Eagerness to learn new technology systems.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Previous experience with payroll and human resources.
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited institution.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume. Must include date ranges and whether full time or part time work.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
- DD-214 for veteran applicants.
- Qualified veterans are eligible for veteran’s preference points within the State classified system. If you are a veteran and would like to have your DD214 evaluated to determine your eligibility for preference points, please attach a copy of your DD214 to this posting. If you do not wish to upload a DD214, please email a copy to [email protected] or send via fax at 303-492-4693 and reference the job to which you are applying.
- If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by November 19, 2018 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Select here for additional information regarding Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer