Professional Research Asst
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
SOM/Anschutz Health and Wellness Center
Professional Research Assistant
Position #00655030- Requisition 15133
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
About the Anschutz Health and Wellness Center:
The Anschutz Health and Wellness Center (AHWC) resides within the School of Medicine at the Anschutz Medical Campus. AWHC is an interdisciplinary center, becoming the nation's go to source of information and programs related to wellness. Top researchers work side-by-side with clinicians to develop and deliver wellness programs and work with community interventionists to take these programs beyond the walls of the center into communities. The mission of the center is "to transform the lives of individuals and communities through science-based wellness strategies.
The Anschutz Health and Wellness Center's Vision is, "a world where accumulating wellness is the norm." All endeavors at the center are focused on this vision. An integrated approach, with a common philosophy is core to the development of the center's programs. These programs strive to involve every area of the business, including wellness clinic services, the fitness center, the bistro, the grocery lab, metabolic and demonstration kitchens. Without this integration it is not possible to achieve the vision that catalyzed the development of the AHWC. The center serves as a "learning lab" for creating a model of standard care for wellness centers that can be replicated and exported.
Nature of Work:
The Anschutz Health and Wellness Center (AHWC) at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks a full-time Professional Research Assistant to coordinate an upcoming research project (investigating the effects of different diets on weight loss and remission of type 2 diabetes (T2D) in individuals who have been diagnosed with T2D within the past 6 years). The position will be responsible for screening, scheduling and conducting study visits on 40 randomized subjects who will be followed over a one-year study period.
*Additionally, this position will work with local diabetes clinics in order to identify, recruit and screen potential subjects. This position is project-based and anticipated to last from approximately January 2019 - June 2020.
Study coordinator responsibilities will include: coordinating and conducting subject recruitment and screening, conducting study visits with research subjects (taking measurements, vital signs, administering questionnaires, assessing for adverse events, collecting concomitant medication information, scheduling follow-up study visits, completing source documents of all study visits and contacts, entering study data into a database, responding to database queries), processing and delivering laboratory samples.
The Anschutz Health and Wellness Center at the University of Colorado Denver is an interdisciplinary center encompassing basic, clinical and translational research as well as post-graduate training and the career development of research professionals in the fields of nutrition, physical activity, community outreach and health promotion. Much of the research conducted at the AHWC focuses on obesity prevention and treatment, diabetes, cardiovascular health and nutrient metabolism.
Work with Clinical Trials is performed under the general direction and supervision of the Director of Clinical Trials, Jeanne Anne Breen, M.S.
This position will not involve supervision responsibilities.
Examples of Work Performed:
Examples of work include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for timely submission of relevant documents to the Colorado Multiple Institution Review Board (COMIRB) including protocol changes and annual continuing review.
- Developing program materials to meet protocol criteria including data collection forms, study tracking sheets and study manual of procedures;
- Participating in study recruitment including adhering to timelines and recruitment goals;
- Conducting telephone interviews of potentially eligible participants using recruitment scripts, assessing and confirming initial eligibility with the Director/PI prior to scheduling screening visits
- Scheduling and conducting screening visits including obtaining informed consent and assess participant eligibility
- Scheduling and conducting study related visits and outcomes assessments as required by protocol and within protocol windows
- Properly assessing and documenting all study-related data
- Electronic entry of study data into study database
- Tracking and reporting of study related adverse events and injuries according to IRB and sponsor guidelines
- Develop rapport with study subjects in order to maximize the retention of study participants
- Adjusting work schedule to accommodate study populations, including early morning study appointments or evening study visits or meetings as required;
- Order, purchase and manage study related supplies, payment of study related bills and invoices, coordinating payment of honorarium to study subjects
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $45,000-$56,000 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Bachelor's degree and 1-2 years of research experience.
Phlebotomy skills preferred but not required. Experience in conducting DXA scans and resting metabolic rate assessments preferred but not required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Outstanding organizational and time-management skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Proven ability to coordinate and implement research protocols and conduct study visits;
- Excellent oral and written skills with the ability to write and conduct daily communications, prepare protocols and reports, and create program/data collection documents;
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to quickly develop solid rapport with research subjects, clients, and colleagues;
- Self-motivated, a proactive learner and able to collaborate with a variety of investigators and individuals on our research team and in our Wellness Clinic;
- Familiarity with computer software including Outlook, Microsoft Word, Access, Excel, Powerpoint, RedCap, and Epic;
- Possess or willing to obtain Basic Life Support Certification;
- Flexibility in daily routine and job tasks;
- An ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as needed;
- Compassion and patience in interacting with participants regarding sensitive subject matter such as weight management and obesity;
- An ability to represent the University, Department and Center, internally and externally, in a professional and positive manner
Special Instructions to Applicants:REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Jeanne Breen at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21471 - SOM-Health and Wellness Center
Posting Date: Nov 9, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jeanne Breen
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00655030