University of Colorado - School of Medicine
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
This is a unique opportunity to work in an academic and clinically busy orthopedic sports medicine practice with one of the premier sports medicine groups in the front range of Colorado. The position will be part-time with the opportunity to expand to full-time exempt (non-hourly) Instructor -Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner position in the Department of Orthopedics. The employee will work in Denver, Aurora and Lone Tree, CO. The position is not eligible for tenure.
Examples of Work Performed
- Obtains detailed history and performs physical examinations on assigned patients; assesses and treats acute/chronic medical problems (focusing on the musculoskeletal system) and provides direct patient care to a specified patient population. Write prescriptions for medications, PT, OT, imaging studies, and DME as needed. Complete FMLA and other forms and school notes as needed.
- Assists in providing pre-op, intra-op and post-op care; writes appropriate orders, including those for narcotics and other scheduled drugs. There will be some casting, splinting, and dressing required.
- Performs emergency life saving procedures in cases such as cardiac arrest, respiratory arrest, massive hemorrhage, or similar emergencies. Occasionally provide fracture reductions in ER or office as needed, but not conscious sedation. Perform joint aspirations and injections.
- Notifies attending physician on call, house physician on call, or supervising physician regarding any unusual or unexpected events or problems requiring direct physician consultation.
- Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
- Coordinates the activities of patient care and support staff within the clinic.
- Work with the team to ensure smooth operation of the clinic.
- Writes progress notes on patients' office and hospital charts indicating patient status and treatment procedures performed; maintains other records as required.
- Provides health education to patients and families; may train and supervise medical students, residents, fellows, Physician Assistant students, and other health professional students, engaged in specific clinical activities.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings, and workshops.
- Participate (attend, give talks, help organize) in educational programs of the CU Sports Medicine including weekly academic conference, journal club, symposia.
- Will assist in community outreach events including giving educational talks, organizing, planning, and attending
- Help develop written educational materials and treatment protocols for specific conditions and post-operative care.
- Assist in preparing and giving PowerPoint and poster presentations for educational purposes at institutional, local and national meetings.
- May perform clinical research related to specific conditions and assist in preparation of manuscripts for publication
- Must become proficient in documentation and use of current the Electronic Medical Record, and be an available resource to other health care providers
- Will assist with athletic training room coverage at the university and high school level and help in coverage of athletic events at the university and high school levels.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Flexibility required as the nature of the position will change over time as one gains knowledge and experience with sports medicine/orthopedic conditions. The expectation will be for gradually more independence in the office as confidence is gained.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
This position works primarily weekdays (but may have some weekend responsibilities including team coverage, educational symposia, outreach events) and will be located primarily in Denver, Aurora and Lone Tree, Colorado.
- State of Colorado Certified Physician's Assistant or Inclusion on the State of Colorado Advanced Practice Registry as an Advance Practice Nurse
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician's Assistants or certification by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification; certification pending, as documented by temporary certificate.
- CPR Certified
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Self-directed, detail-oriented, and adaptable in a high-intensity environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required as well.
- Bachelor's degree in a related Technical, Scientific, or Engineering discipline
- 6 months to 1 year experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. May be willing to train new grad with previous hospital/ortho experience or exceptional qualities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. Some positions may also require a motor vehicle records check.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/careers Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. Letters of reference (optional) Questions should be directed to [email protected]
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20259 - SOM-Orthopedics
Posting Date: Nov 9, 2018
Closing Date: Nov 14, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Michelle Wolcott
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00756165