JOB NO.: 96615-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Categories: Laboratory Technician, Research Specialists, Research, Scientific
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 96615-AS
Working Title: Research Specialist
Official Title: SR RESEARCH SPEC(T16BN) or RESEARCH SPECIALIST(T16DN) or ASSOC RESEARCH SPEC(T16FN)
Anticipated Begin Date: DECEMBER 01, 2018
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $30,207 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
A Bachelor's Degree is required. A degree in Psychology, Biology, Neuroscience or related field is preferred.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
The following work experience, knowledge and skills is highly preferred:
- One to two years of experience working in a research laboratory on complex research projects. Relevant
undergraduate experience will be considered.
- Experience with the National Institutes for Health (NIH) and/or National Database for Autism Research (NDAR).
- Experience with database management.
- Experience working with people with autism and autism-related disorders.
- Experience with collecting brain imaging data in children/adolescents.
- Knowledge of human subjects research principles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving, organization, and computer skills.
- Exceptional judgment and independent decision-making skills, including the ability to set one's own priorities to meet the demands of the position.
License or certificate:
The Waisman Center is dedicated to the advancement of knowledge about human development, developmental disabilities, and neurodegenerative diseases throughout the lifespan. One of only 14 centers of its kind in the United States, the Waisman Center encompasses laboratories for biomedical and behavioral research, a brain imaging center, and a clinical bio-manufacturing facility for the production of pharmaceuticals for early stage human clinical trials. In addition to its research efforts, the Center provides an array of services to people with developmental disabilities, offers numerous educational and outreach programs to young children and their families, and trains scientists and clinicians who will serve our nation in the future.
The Research Specialist will support research in the Motor and Brain Development Laboratory (PI: Brittany Travers). The Motor and Brain Development Lab is dedicated to advancing knowledge about motor development, brain development, and independent living skills to promote and enhance quality of life for individuals with and without developmental disorders. This position will primarily be responsible for performing data collection, data processing and data management for a four-year study funded by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. This position will also assist with some outreach and administrative functions.
- A Criminal Background Check will be performed.
- Must complete HIPAA training and receive certification within the first 5 days of employment and annually
thereafter within 5 days of notification.
- Reporting requirements must be completed in a timely manner, including, but not limited to effort reporting
and outside activities reporting.
Instructions to applicants:
Please click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the application process. You will be asked to upload a resume, cover letter, and a list of 3 references including contact information.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Nov 9 2018 Central Standard Time
Application Close: Nov 25 2018 11:55 PM Central Standard Time