Lab Assistant II
50% Part Time
8AM - 5PM
$36,102 - $42,512
Under supervision, the lab assistant will maintain wild-type and transgenic Aedes and Anopheles mosquito strains. This requires the handling of mice and animal blood for feeding mosquitoes. Transgenic strains will be screened for markers to ensure homozygous states are maintained. The individual will also be involved in the selection of toxin-resistant mosquito lines, and assist in training students in mosquito cultures. The individual will also maintain and clean the mosquito culture room and the lab as needed, and assist in general laboratory maintenance. Please note: This is a part-time position and the posted salary range is based on full-time employment. Salary paid will be prorated according to appointment percentage (50%).
Ability to follow instructions and ability to maintain logs with experience in mosquito rearing and maintenance. Must be familiar with the screening of different transgenic and ability to strains using fluorescent microscopy. Ability to dissect insect tissues, and must be able to handle mice. Attention to detail while being able to multitask and adapt to changing work load and priorities is needed. Must demonstrate interpersonal and communication skills, be able to work as part of team, have a sense of responsibility and strong work ethics. Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and two years of laboratory experience or two years of college including courses in the natural, physical or social sciences and one year of laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
At least two years of college and one year of laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, and five years of work experience.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview