Sponsored Research Business Analyst - Chemical Sciences (105494)
Sponsored Research Business Analyst
School of Chemical Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The School of Chemical Sciences (SCS) seeks a full-time (12-month) Sponsored Research Business Analyst (SRBA). This position reports to the Senior Business Analyst in the SCS Business Office and will work with a team of three other SRBAs to manage financial and regulatory aspects of sponsored research grants, contracts and subcontracts for faculty investigators in a nationally recognized top-volume research environment for the Departments of Chemistry and Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, exercising discretion, authority and independent decision-making.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Work directly with faculty in Chemistry and Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering on proposal submissions, focusing on interpretation of guidelines, assisting with complex budget and budget justification preparation, and serving as a liaison between the faculty and SPA Pre-Award.
- Work closely with campus units, inter-disciplinary researchers and business offices at UIUC and other collaborating institutions during both the application and award execution process.
- Work with faculty and staff to facilitate and monitor the processing of anticipated awards and the establishment of sponsored project accounts.
- Work collaboratively with incoming faculty to facilitate sponsored project transfers from other institutions and/or agencies.
- Manage a post-award portfolio with an average of 50 active grants: includes reconciling monthly balances with BANNER; corresponding with and advocating for faculty throughout the life of the grant on items such as allowable expenses, personnel needs, managing deficits and assisting with close-out; and serving as a liaison between the faculty and SPA Post-Award.
- Review equipment purchases and travel reimbursements for allowability on grant funds.
- Provide expenditure projections and forecast financial trends for faculty funding portfolios.
- Maintain required documents per University requirements.
- Assist with the preparation of materials for audit purposes and responses to audit findings.
- Review and assist with progress reporting, while monitoring faculty effort to ensure compliance with policies.
- Research and analyze information and data. Take independent action to solve problems and exercise individual authority based upon level of knowledge and professional experience.
- Participate in continuing education opportunities or relevant professional certifications, including attending meetings and trainings to continue seeking best practices and policy information as it pertains to University, state, and federal regulations.
- Bachelor's degree in business, accounting, finance, or a related field.
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in a complex business, academic, research or government environment, preferably at an institution of higher learning.
- UIUC Certified Research Administrator.
- Experience in accounting and auditing.
- Knowledge of sponsored program activity within a complex research environment and knowledge of University business procedures.
- Proficient use of the University of Illinois accounting and reporting systems, including BANNER, Priority Software Business Accounting application, EDDIE, myResearch Portal, and various agency proposal submission systems.
- Willingness to recommend or develop and implement other related systems for sponsored research management as needed.
Successful candidates will have:
- Extensive working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Outlook.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize.
- Proven effective organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills, including great attention to detail.
- Demonstrated exceptional professional service skills, including discretion in professional judgment.
- Ability to take independent action and exercise individual authority based upon level of knowledge and professional experience.
- Highly developed communication skills through written and oral correspondence.
- Proven ability to work in an integrated team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and to represent the School and University in a professional manner.
Salary and Start Date: This is a full-time Civil Service Grants and Contracts Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Starting date is as soon as possible after closing date.
Application Procedures: For full consideration, please create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (transcripts or diploma) by November 26, 2018. An online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three references. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for the position. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered.
For further information/questions: Contact the SCS HR Office at [email protected] or 217-300-1637.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon accepting a contingent offer.
Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).
College Name or Administrative Unit: Liberal Arts and Sciences
Title: Sponsored Research Business Analyst - Chemical Sciences (105494)
Open Date: 11/09/2018
Close Date: 11/26/2018
Organization Name: School of Chemical Sciences