COS - Student Services - 124120
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
The mission of the College of Science at the University of North Texas is to provide a supportive, inclusive, and collaborative environment for students, faculty, and staff, integrating a contemporary education in science with the pursuit of research at the forefront of the natural and mathematical sciences.
The COS - Student Services Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire an Academic Counselor to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Provide advanced academic and career advising services to students in the College of Science Advising Center.
* Assist with retention and advising strategies related to science students, particularly with regards to college engagement and career development .
* Responsible for advising students on degree/program requirements and course scheduling.
* Maintains and updates student status records, transcript evaluations, degree plan audits, and graduation applications.
* Advises students regarding University requirements and individual program requirements including applicability of transfer credits in a timely and professional manner.
* Implements student success and retention initiatives
* May assist with recruitment and other campus-related events and initiatives.
* Confers with faculty or administrators with regard to academic policy issues, such as acceptable course substitutions for a particular degree.
* Prepares and updates degree audits, student records using advising technology.
* Receives and processes applications for graduation.
* Partners effectively with campus resources to make appropriate referrals.
* Develops and delivers presentations to on-campus and off-campus groups regarding procedures and program requirements.
* Assists with graduation exercises or special events.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess a Master's Degree and two years of experience in student affairs, student services, counseling, professional academic advising, or related experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Considerable knowledge of University policies and procedures related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate).
* Current knowledge of student development and counseling theory.
* Strong presentation, problem solving, and critical thinking skills.
* Strong counseling skills including career development and group facilitation.
* Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing.
* Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
* Ability to work independently.
* Remains active in professional development.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Advanced experience in higher education.
* Knowledge of university policies and procedures.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting