Senior Payroll Analyst
Requisition # 2018-9586
Category Financial Services and Procurement
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Princeton University's Office of Finance and Treasury seeks a Senior Payroll Analsyt for a two-year term position. The position is responsible for assisting in executing controls over the processing in excess of $500 million annually to 14,000 employees and students, including Princeton University's foreign national student and faculty population of roughly 2,000 people.
The Senior Payroll Analyst assists with overseeing the payroll production cycle, processing of payroll data including the audit, quality control, and recording for the monthly and bi-weekly payrolls. The incumbent will process the outbound vouchers that support payment of benefits and other related items and will support the Payroll Specialists in ensuring that the University's bi-weekly, monthly, and supplemental payrolls are timely, accurate, and compliant. The analyst also provides backup support to both the Payroll Tax and Accounting Analyst and Payroll Specialist positions
The Office of Finance & Treasury actively searches for staff members of exceptional ability and promise who share in Princeton University's commitment to excellence, and who present a diversity of viewpoints and cultures. We offer varied professional opportunities spanning all aspects of financial management, analysis, and processing in support of the teaching and research mission. As part of the University community, we respect the dignity and individuality of each member while trying to foster a sense of shared experience and common purpose. We are unwavering in our commitment to both diversity and community and embrace the variety of talents, backgrounds, and perspectives of all of our colleagues.
Manage Payment File Transmissions
- Analyze, perform impact analysis, and incorporate additional payment, benefits, or 3rd party transmissions into the delivery process.
- Generate, transmit, and reconcile files associated with post-confirm payroll processes.
- Audit files for thoroughness and accuracy.
- Communicate and escalate issues and risks in a timely manner.
- Establish and maintain process documentation for new procedures.
Oversee Payroll Production Cycle
- Audit the change notification reports and determine appropriate action relative to gross-up of payments and taxation.
- Audit accuracy of data entered for Federal and state W-4 forms, non-resident FICA and treaty adjustments.
- Manage escalation of complex payroll issues.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues.
- Provide guidance to enable timely, accurate, and compliant payroll processing.
- Approve manual adjustments required to resolve issues.
- Audit earnings, tax and deduction amounts entered on the paylines to ensure accuracy.
- Review earnings, tax and deduction amounts entered on the paylines by the team to ensure accuracy.
- Monitor and Approve the completion of the payroll process checklists and other payment controls.
- Track international assignments.
- Prepare loan forgiveness data for the payroll processing cycles
- Respond to court inquiries and assist Office of General Council when needed with special orders. Assist with related audits.
- Support research and data collections related to audits and internal report needs.
Implement System and Process Improvement
- Assist with testing in support of system or process changes.
- Implement process improvements.
- Assist with development of web and printed materials to provide process overviews, relevant forms, and deadlines to customers.
- Provide direction and assistance
- Provide backup support to the Payroll Tax and Accounting Analyst
- Provide backup to support to the Payroll Specialist
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- 5-7 years related experience
- Expertise using an HRMS-Payroll application
- Advanced level proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Experience querying data and/or using ad-hoc reporting tools
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge of foreign national tax compliance as it relates to payroll processing and taxation
- Experience working in higher education
- Experience using an in-house HRMS-Payroll application (e.g. Oracle/PeopleSoft, SAP)
- Experience with system enhancement and tax update testing
- Shows a progression of leadership experience in the payroll field preferred
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Comments Related to End Date
This is a two year term position
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.