Requisition # 2018-9588
Department Adv-Office of Advancement
Category Administrative Support
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The administrative assistant to the Deputy Vice President for Volunteer Engagement reports directly to and provides high level administrative support for the DVP as well as serving as the office administrator and support for the volunteer engagement team as it expands. Administrative duties include complex scheduling and calendaring; handling travel arrangements and preparing expense reports, organizing and maintaining files, and monitoring and preparing customized correspondence. Handles confidential correspondence and information with utmost discretion. Provides similar services to the volunteer engagement staff as appropriate and to unit department heads in a back-up capacity. Handles confidential matters for the DVP and attends key internal meetings. Plans, executes, and documents meetings and events for which the DVP or other team members have the lead.
Advancement's Volunteer Engagement team was formed in October 2018 with responsibility for creating, implementing and sustaining a comprehensive and collaborative volunteer engagement strategy across Alumni Affairs and Development. This position interacts regularly with members of the Advancement Office staff, Princeton alumni, alumni donors, volunteers, and parents, as well as with senior administrators and a broad range of campus partners, with the goal of helping to move forward the priorities of the new initiative.
- Supports the work of the Committee to Nominate Alumni Trustees, handling confidential correspondence, as required. Responsibilities surrounding these activities include coordinating meeting logistics; formatting, proofing and distributing agendas, presentations, and supplemental materials; keeping thorough and accurate records of all proceedings and maintaining well-organized files; writing minutes after each meeting; and assuring ongoing, customized communication with committee members throughout the year as required. (20%)
- Assists with coordination of large-scale mailings, including outreach related to Princeton's key alumni awards and coordinates meeting logistics and correspondence for special committees
- Monitors department budget including analysis and reconciliation as needed and acts as financial liaison responsible for purchasing and expense report management; primary contact for financial systems including preparing purchasing related paperwork and managing departmental purchasing cards.
- Coordinates and helps maintain department vacation/absence schedule, working with other unit administrative assistants, and reconciling with the University absence management system.
- Creates, proofreads, edits and finalizes customized correspondence, e.g., PowerPoint presentations, memos, agendas, reports, spreadsheets, meeting minutes and other documents for distribution to senior administrative/faculty partners across campus, key volunteers, donors, and staff.
- Undertakes special projects and performs other assignments for the DVP and Volunteer Engagement team as needed.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- At least three-five years of relevant practical experience required, preferably working in a fast-paced office for one or more senior administrators
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a high degree of professionalism and initiative
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation sufficient to compose, edit, and proofread correspondence, presentations and reports
- Strong computer skills, including high level of proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook; ability to conduct basic web research; ability to learn and manage alumni database information with Advance application (our donor database)
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and make decisions based on established policies and procedures in supervisor's absence, and ability to interact with department staff, Development Office staff, campus partners, volunteers and donors
- Strong problem-solving and organizational skills; Excellent attention to detail; accuracy, flexibility and demonstrated ability to be proactive and to prioritize tasks
- Customer service orientation and ability to work as a team player
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and handle highly sensitive information and material in a discretionary manner
- Proficiency with data and financial information management and presentation
Relevant practical experience in an educational or not-for-profit setting
Familiarity with Princeton University, its mission and its global community of alumni. Strong appreciation for the principles of alumni relations and fundraising as it relates to higher education.
Commitment to University Advancement's mission of fostering alumni engagement and maximizing philanthropic support for Princeton University and to adhering to tis guiding principles of High Performance, Innovation, Civility, and Collaboration.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.