Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The Police Dispatcher is part of the George Washington University Police Department's Communication Center. The Police Dispatchers are responsible for answering all George Washington Police Department's telephone lines and directs calls appropriately. This position reports to the Assistant Chief of Police, Physical Security & Technology Management.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Completing appropriate certification and on-going training for all duties in role.
• Directing calls to appropriate GWPD personnel.
• Dispatches Officers to incidents, alarms, requests for assistance or service and emergency situations on campus.
• Dispatches campus ambulance crews for medical emergencies on and off campus.
• Monitors alarms from campus facilities and from GW Personal Alarm Locator software.
• Utilizing specific law enforcement systems that require a background check.
• Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED plus 1.5 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
Documented work experience within a service-oriented organization.
Sufficient oral and written communication skills to effectively speak with callers and prepare job-related documentation.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Safety and Security Family Safety and Security Sub-Family Campus Police - Operational Stream Service and Support Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Rotating shifts Position Designation: Designated On-Site: Employees who are required to physically report to work or remain at work during an emergency or adjustment to the university's operating status Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007645 Job Open Date: 09/28/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter