Job Location Normal, Il 61790
Posting date 11-09-2018
The responsibilities of this position are varied but are all related to department communications. This position is responsible for all aspects of editing and production of the Planning and Changing Journal, as well as the online presence of the Department of Educational Administration and Foundations (EAF). The work focuses on those responsibilities associated with communicating with the campus community and the public through a variety of mediums, including Facebook, Twitter, web pages, recruitment brochures, newsletters, press releases, marketing, etc. This position also plays an important role in the planning of the EAF Gala.
1. Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, English, or a closely related field
2. Two (2) years (24 months) of experience writing for a newspaper, magazine, trade publication, news organization, or writing in a public relations, research, or business communications environment
If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, then employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
1. Experience with In-Design.
2. Knowledge of media and digital communications and dissemination techniques (oral, written, and/or visual media.)
3. Experience in web-based software.
4. Skilled in using internet and social media websites.
5. Skilled in determining correct format, grammar, spelling, and sentence and paragraph structure.
6. Skill in verbally communicating information and ideas so others can understand.
7. Familiarity with reference materials such as Turabian's A Manual for Writers, Barron's Law Dictionary, Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, The Word Book II, Corbett's The Little English Handbook, Barron's Pocket Guide to Correct Grammar, and the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association.
8. Competency in proofreading with a thorough knowledge of editorial symbols.
9. Ability to communicate effectively through writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
10. Computer literate with a good working knowledge of word processing and desktop publishing programs.
11. Ability to manipulate software programs to create accurate and attractive documents and web pages.
12. Strong interpersonal and telephone skills.
13. Ability to work as a member of a team.
14. Ability to work and collaborate with other department and university representatives and employees as well as off campus vendors and professional contacts.
15. Ability to transform rough or draft copy into attractive and photo-ready copy suitable for printing.
16. Ability to produce manuscripts, reports, correspondence, charts, graphs, or other technical material as needed.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity. Females, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.