Assistant Director for Research, Education, and Clinical Services
The University of Kentucky Libraries Medical Center Library (MCL) seeks an experienced, creative, proactive, collaborative, and service-oriented librarian to lead our Research, Education, and Clinical Services division. The MCL supports the education, research, and clinical programs of the six UK health sciences colleges, UK Healthcare, as well as the wider interdisciplinary biomedical community of the University. The Assistant Director for Research, Education, and Clinical Services must have experience working as a liaison and possess knowledge and experience in key service areas for health sciences libraries.
Reporting to the Director of the MCL, the Assistant Director is responsible for the following:
• Leading a team of five professional librarians in providing research, instruction, and liaison activities to ensure a high level of service to library clientele.
• Overseeing the development of innovative user-centered research and instruction services that support the mission of research, education, and patient care of the six health sciences colleges and UK Healthcare.
• Providing strategic direction and vision for the division, its staff, and services.
• Serving as liaison to the College of Public Health.
• Promoting the exploration and implementation of new approaches to research services, departmental/college liaison engagement, research consultation services, and information literacy skills programs.
• Working actively with primary clientele to explore and propose collaborative projects and opportunities for integration of the MCL in relevant academic departments.
• Participating with liaison librarians in the development of educational programs and services that support information management and the practice of evidence based medicine, including teaching classes and orientations in a variety of settings
• Participating in UK Libraries research data services and scholarly communication initiatives
• Compiling and reporting statistics of department activities.
• Representing the MCL on appropriate committees, including library system and university-wide committees.
• Representing the MCL at local, regional, and national professional meetings.
• Demonstrating active engagement with relevant professional associations.
This position is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track position.
The University of Kentucky is a public, land grant university of approximately 32,000 students, 3,500 faculty, and 15,000 staff dedicated to improving people's lives through excellence in education, research and creative work, service, and health care. With over 200 academic programs across sixteen colleges and professional schools, the University plays a critical leadership role by promotion diversity, inclusion, economic development, and human well-being. Located in the beautiful bluegrass region of central Kentucky, the University of Kentucky Libraries includes the main William T. Young Library, Medical Center Library, Special Collections Research Center, Agricultural Information Center, Fine Arts Library, Design Library, Education Library, Lexmark Library, and Science & Engineering Library. Combined library holdings total more than four million volumes. The system has a faculty of 60 and a support and professional staff of 108. UK Libraries currently uses the Ex Libris Alma and Primo systems. UK Libraries memberships include the Association of Research Libraries, LYRASIS, ASERL, and the Center for Research Libraries. UK is a regional depository for government publications.
To apply, interested applicants must complete a UK application and attach two documents:
• Curriculum vitae
• Cover letter
Please include contact information for three references when prompted in the application. This information may be utilized to solicit recommendation letters for your references within the employment system.
Assistant Director for Research, Education, and Clinical Services
Type of Position
Position Time Status
ALA-accredited graduate degree in Library and Information Science
Required Related Experience
• Minimum of three years of relevant experience in an academic, research, or special library setting including management experience in increasingly responsible positions
• Supervisory experience
• Demonstrated knowledge of all aspects of library operations including extensive knowledge of current library practices, trends and emerging technologies; knowledge of and experience with outcomes and assessment of library services
• Experience serving as a liaison or content expert to a health sciences user group
• Experience in delivering library instruction using best practices for teaching
• Strong customer service skills and an enthusiastic public services orientation
• Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, interpersonal) and the ability to establish strong rapport with multiple constituencies in order to effectively collaborate and build partnerships inside and outside of the library and university
• Ability to meet the requirements of a tenure-track position through research, publication, and/or professional service
Required License/ Registration/Certification
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
• Additional degree or job experience in a health-related or sciences discipline
• Five or more years of relevant experience in an academic, research, or special library setting including management experience
• Experience in conducting expert searching and/or systematic reviews
• Proficiency using EndNote or similar citation management software
• Demonstrated understanding of current issues and trends in research data management and scholarly communication
• Record of scholarship, teaching, and/or active membership in professional associations
Deadline to Apply
Open Untill Filled
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's Online Employment System?
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- HERCjobs.org (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- Academic Keys
- Latinos in Higher Education
- A colleague, friend, and/or family member
- None of the Above
- Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter