Human Resources Generalist
Position DescriptionUnder general supervision, perform a broad range of complex technical and clerical duties related to the day-to-day functioning of the human resources department. Research materials for collective bargaining processes; access and maintain confidential material dealing with employee/employer relations; exercise frequent independent judgment and discretion for the control and release of sensitive information. Responsibilities
- Research, collect data for, and prepare a variety of statistical and narrative reports; research and recommend collective bargaining proposals; implement and explain the provisions of the collective bargaining agreements.
- Research and compile documentation for board reports, legal matters, and departmental inquiries; prepare personnel-related board agenda items for open and closed sessions.
- Process and maintain district personnel files for academic, classified, and contingent workforce, including document imaging of employee files and related material; verify information and eligibility for salary placement, benefits, and retirement; assist employees with insurance benefits.
- Prepare documents for, and assist in the implementation of recruiting, interviewing, and selection to include development, preparation, revision, and maintenance of job announcements and position descriptions; conduct pre-employment testing; schedule and facilitate committee meetings; maintain the human resources web page; work with outside vendors to ensure broad recruitment efforts are attained.
- Update and maintain personnel records including employee wage records, benefit records, demographic information, sick/vacation leave accounting, evaluation reports, and other personnel-related data in the District's integrated database.
- Develop, recommend, and implement internal personnel policies and procedures; maintain a variety of logs, files and records; control the release of sensitive information to authorized personnel.
- Administer the employee benefit and leave programs.
- Develop, test, and implement adhoc reports using query tools.
- Provide administrative support to the Associate Superintendent, Business Services/Economic Development and the Director, Human Resources.
- Act as agent for the District in assisting with applicant background checks, fingerprinting, and driver's license record checks.
- Assist with the preparation of data for new employee orientations and various presentations.
- Prepare purchase requisitions; maintain departmental budgets, maintain proper supply levels in the department; order supplies when necessary.
- Prepare annual reports as necessary to include Staff Diversity, recruitment monitoring, and Statement of Economic Interests.
- Assist the campus community with supporting the goals and objectives of the District.
- Research and respond to verifications of employment, unemployment claims, and disability claims.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to an associate's degree in human resources management or related field and two (2) years increasingly responsible human resources-related experience.
- Ability to:
- Perform multiple complex tasks under tight timelines.
- Maintain composure and professionalism in handling a high volume of work of a complex nature in a fast paced environment.
- Perform a variety of technical, clerical, and confidential duties related to the day-to-day functioning of the department, including recruitment and selection; pre-employment testing; employment processing; benefits; compensation; and file maintenance.
- Prepare and maintain records and reports for academic and classified employees.
- Learn, interpret, apply, and explain rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Provide information and assistance to employees, supervisors, and administrators.
- Use proper English grammar and type accurately at 50 net words per minute; operate a variety of office equipment.
- Work independently with minimal direction.
- Previous employment experience in a community college human resources department.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, Ellucian (Colleague) integrated database.
- Completion of diversity and/or bias recognition training.
Working hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30am - 4:30pm . Hours may vary according to need.
Chaffey College recently implemented an online electronic application system. Our new application can be accessed at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/chaffey. The application must be completely filled out in detail and clearly show that you meet the qualifications as set forth in the announcement, and you must upload the following documents:
Please do not include any additional documents; only the documents that are indicated below. If you upload documents that are not required, your application may be disqualified.
- Cover Letter
- Copy of college level transcripts (if you are using your education to meet the qualifications) (photocopies or computer printouts are acceptable. Copies of diplomas/degrees are NOT acceptable in lieu of transcripts.)
This is a full-time, 12-month, confidential position. Starting date: as soon as possible. Range 2 of the Confidential Salary Schedule, with a starting salary of Step A, $6,053. Excellent benefits package.
REQUIRED TESTING INFORMATIONApplicants must achieve qualifying scores on tests to be administered by the District. Testing will consist of two parts: Language Arts and General Math. Testing for this position will be on Friday, November 30, 2018 and Monday, December 3, 2018. All applicants will be notified via email to utilize the online self-scheduling feature. There is additional information regarding testing on the Human Resources main page, "Testing Information" link. Previous passing test scores within one year will be applied and you will not need to retest.