College Nurse - Hanford/Tulare
Under the supervision of the Provost/Hanford Educational Center, Provost/Tulare College Center and the Health Center Director, the College Nurse assists in the planning, development and delivery of a wide variety of health and wellness services for our diverse community of students and staff.
This position is a 10 month, full-time (40 hours/week) position.
The work schedule will be:
- Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
College of the Sequoias Community College District serves a diverse community of learners and is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution. COS provides a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, career and technical programs for our students. We are dedicated to recruiting employees who are committed to helping a diverse population of students achieve their educational goals. We seek candidates who exhibit an understanding and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for student success. Job Duties
Job duties of the College Nurse include but are not limited to:
- Assist the Health Center Director in the planning, development and implementation of the Student Health Services Program.
- Assist in the development and delivery of health education programs for the college community through classroom presentations, bulletins, newsletters, seminars, workshops and other activities.
- Respond to emergency calls when requested, provide first aid and emergency nursing care to injured/ill students and employees; arrange emergency transportation to medical facilities as necessary.
- Employ a system of triage, identifying symptoms and making independent nursing judgments regarding acuity of illness and/or injury.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of physical/mental health and safety records and reports with accuracy and confidentiality.
- Assist in coordinating and administering other health service programs; ie communicable disease surveillance, vaccine-preventable disease immunizations, reproductive health, mental health and general health and wellness services; and participate in the development and implementation of new/expanded services as needed.
- Perform student and staff TB testing and clearance in accordance with Tulare and Kings County Health Department training and protocol.
- Perform appropriate evaluative screening and laboratory tests requiring specific expertise, training and licensing, ie: vision, hearing, blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol, hemoglobin, STD and HIV, pregnancy and other CLIA(Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment) approved testing in accordance with established procedures and/or protocols.
- Assess and evaluate the general health status of students and staff focusing on prevention, early identification, intervention and treatment of physical and emotional health problems.
- Provide confidential personal physical and mental health consultation to students and staff for immediate problem-solving/resolution and/or development of an individual health plan which may include referral/s to private or community based resources.
- Administer non-prescription (OTC) medications and birth control(condoms) as is in accordance with established protocols.
- Protect the well-being of students and staff through established procedures of prevention and control of communicable diseases, ie: Tuberculosis, Influenza and other communicable respiratory infections (Varicella; Measles, Mumps and Rubella,) infectious gastrointestinal disorders (Hepatitis A, Salmonella, Shigella, Giardiasis), communicable skin disorders (ringworm, scabies, lice), blood-borne pathogens (Hepatitis B and C, HIV) and others.
- Assist in identification and referral of students eligible for other support services; ie: Financial Aid, EOPS, DRC, Work Study; Learning Labs and others.
- Supervise inventory and ordering of medical supplies and equipment to include the monitoring and maintenance of all medical equipment.
- Oversee department safety, cleanliness and compliance with established health and safety procedures/regulations.
- Participate in the planning, coordination and implementation of campus health fairs and other health promotion/wellness events.
- Assist in providing health and safety consultations with campus personnel and participate in the design, implementation and monitoring of health, safety, crisis intervention and disaster programs.
- Assist in the procurement (from community resources), development and dissemination of health education materials for students and staff.
- Identify and maintain liaison with community health agencies for referral sources as well as support services to connect campuses/students with such services.
- Assist in preparation of reports including Program Review and Year-End Reports, attendance at meetings, work with advisory committees and other related duties as assigned.
- Assist in review and update of policies, procedures, protocols and referral resources.
- Provide supervision and training to unlicensed staff and others as designated by Health Center Director.
- Provide mentoring and training of new staff to the Medicat electronic medical management system and software.
- Perform committee work and attend conferences, workshops and trainings related to college health issues, trends, and programs.
- Represent the Health Center in absence of Health Center Director.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Education & Experience):
Any combination equivalent to:
- Associate's degree in nursing from an accredited college.
- Three (3) years of experience within the past five (5) years in one or more of the following settings: school/college health, acute care, emergency health, public health or occupational health.
Licenses and other Requirements:
- Minimum qualifications of the California Board of Registered Nursing
- Current, valid RN License
- Current CPR/AED certificate or willingness to obtain
- Current California driver's license
- Bilingual skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- Public Health Certificate
- Health Office environment.
- Evening hours and summer session hours may be required
- Ability to drive to and from Centers to conduct Student Health Services
- Ability to lift equipment up to 30 pounds
- Ability to kneel on ground/floor for medical emergencies
- Ability to squat, bend and reach
- Ability to walk briskly while pushing wheelchair for medical emergencies
- Ability demonstrate dexterity of both hands and fingers
- Ability to demonstrate acuity of vision and hearing
The hiring committee is seeking evidence of the following:
- Current community health nursing practice, including communicable disease control, adult and adolescent health care, reproductive health care, substance abuse issues and prevention, mental health trends and resources for care.
- Current community health resources for consultation, referral and treatment.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Medicat electronic medical management system and software.
- Assess emergency situations; administer first aid, CPR and AED response, and other appropriate nursing care, information and/or referral.
- Work effectively in crisis situations.
- Conduct preventive health programs.
- Work independently in planning, organizing and delivering health services within the parameters of accepted standards imposed by the nurse practice act and accepted/approved protocols.
- Establish and maintain effective collaborations and working relationships with students, staff and the community.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Problem-solve and think critically.
- Understand, be sensitive and have a commitment to provide health services for culturally, socio-economically, ethnically and academically diverse students and staff, and those with disabilities.
- Perform basic computer skills
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit:
- An online job application.
- Letter of Interest which addresses how the applicant's experience and/or education enables him/her to be able to perform the job duties.
- Transcripts (Official transcripts will be required upon hire).