Grounds Maintenance Worker II
Under the direction of the Manager of Maintenance & Operations, the Grounds Maintenance Worker II will perform gardening and grounds maintenance duties on District hardscape and landscape areas assuring healthy, attractive, clean and safe environment for students, staff and the public; and will assist with planning and purchasing grounds supplies and materials. This position requires the incumbent to possess a valid Agricultural Pest Control Operator License.
The Grounds Maintenance Worker is a 12-month, part-time position.
The work schedule will be:
- Monday – Friday 6:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
College of the Sequoias Community College District serves a diverse community of learners and is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution. COS provides a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, career and technical programs for our students. We are dedicated to recruiting employees who are committed to helping a diverse population of students achieve their educational goals. We seek candidates who exhibit an understanding and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for student success. Job Duties
Job duties of the Grounds Maintenance Worker II include:
- Perform gardening and grounds maintenance duties; mow and edge lawns; cultivate and water lawns, shrubs, hedges and trees.
- Perform varied duties in planting and transplanting of ornamental plants, trees and shrubs; plan for seasonal color as requested; upgrade areas needing improvements; assure proper irrigation and maintain related files.
- Drive a cart to inspect hardscape and landscaped areas and assure standards are met; prune shrubs and trees; pick up trash; apply pre-emergent herbicides as appropriate.
- Apply fertilizers and non-restricted insecticides, pesticides and herbicides to lawns, flowers, shrubs and trees.
- Maintain athletic fields and track in proper condition for sports events.
- Utilize hand tools to work soil and remove weeds, undergrowth and debris from assigned grounds and landscaped areas; perform minor repair and maintenance to equipment.
- Remain current concerning supplies, equipment, herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers; contact vendors and make appropriate purchases according to established procedures and guidelines.
- Clean, repair and install sprinklers as required.
- Operate power equipment such as tractors, trucks and large mowers as assigned; perform mechanical maintenance and repair of power equipment used in grounds maintenance activities as assigned.
- Lock and unlock gates; sweep walks and driveways; pick up rubbish and trash.
- Select, train and provide work direction and guidance to assigned student workers.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Experience):
Any combination equivalent to:
- Sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed above including two years of gardening and grounds maintenance experience.
Licenses and Other Requirements:
- Valid California's driver's license.
- An incumbent must be insurable at the "standard rate" by the employer's insurance carrier at all times while employed in this classification by the College of the Sequoias Community College District.
- Ability to obtain or possession of a valid Agricultural Pest Control Operator License.
- Outdoor environment.
- Extreme weather conditions.
- Noise from equipment operation.
- Drive vehicle from site to site to conduct business of the District.
- Ability to hear and speak to communicate with students/employees/public.
- Ability to see to read documents.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended period of time.
- Ability to reach in all directions, bend, pull and kneel.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to climb a ladder.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate equipment needed to perform required duties.
- Exposure to noise from equipment operation.
- Working around machinery with moving parts.
- Dust, fumes, smoke or gases.
- Hazardous materials.
Knowledge and Abilities
The hiring committee is seeking evidence of the following:
- Procedures, methods, materials, supplies and equipment used in various gardening and grounds maintenance activities.
- Maintenance of lawns, shrubs and trees.
- Utilize tools, supplies and equipment required in grounds maintenance activities safely and efficiently.
- Make repairs to sprinkler systems and grounds maintenance equipment.
- Perform mechanical maintenance repair to grounds equipment as assigned.
- Read and write at the level required for successful job performance.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit:
- An online job application.
- Letter of Interest which addresses how the applicant's experience enables him/her to be able to perform the job duties.