Graduate Assistant (Staff), OISS Technical Support Graduate Assistant
The Office for International Students and Scholars is seeking a qualified graduate student for the position of Technical Support Graduate Assistant for the Winter 2019 semester. Under the guidance and supervision of the professional staff, the graduate assistant is to perform primary technical support as well as support customer service at the OISS front desk.
With the guidance of one or more staff or faculty members, perform a mixture of services in support of communication, technology, business operations or student affairs activities as more than 50% of their service.
The Staff Graduate Assistant receives a stipend and tuition waiver subject to federal tax.
In consultation with one or more staff or faculty members, assist in the support of the affairs of a program, department, office and/or curriculum.
Other departmental related duties as required.
- Maintain the Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS) website including conducting monthly audits of the website to ensure accuracy and functionality.
- Assist professional staff with website development.
- Oversee third-party software licenses for the office and monitor inventory of all software and office equipment.
- Identify and implement computer applications intended to improve office efficiency and streamline procedures.
- Assist in the trouble-shooting of office machines (computers, printers, copiers) and at times work closely with the EMU I.T. Department.
- Manage the departmental shared drive and networks.
- Provide technical assistance to professional staff during presentations, orientations, seminars, and other events as needed.
- Be a knowledgeable initial contact for international students requiring assistance (in-person, via e-mail, and over the telephone) at the OISS front desk.
- Represent the OISS office at special cultural functions (some evening and weekend events required).
- Other technical duties as assigned.
Ability to work up to 20 hours per week (10 for 50%) is required.
GPA of 3.0 or higher is required.
Admission and enrollment in a graduate program is required.
Maintenance of a 67% course completion is required.
Enrollment in at least 6 credits for Fall and Winter semesters is required.
- An earned Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution
- Acceptance into a Graduate Program at Eastern Michigan University. This position is best suited for graduate students pursuing a Master's of Science in Computer Science; or computer related program.
- This position officially begins on January 2, 2019, however applicant must be available to start training in December 2018.
- Required commitment of 20 hours a week (including finals week).
- Must be available to work during orientation (Fall and Winter) and immigration check-ins (Fall, Winter, Summer).
- Graduate assistant is to follow the EMU's Student Code of Conduct and conduct themselves in a safe, productive, and ethical manner.
- Funding is for the Winter 2019 semester. Summer employment may be available, but is not guaranteed.
- Any applicant whose first language is not English must meet specific English language proficiency requirements to be considered for a graduate assistantship.
- Incomplete applications and applications without all required supplemental documents will not be considered.
Required supplemental documents to be submitted
- Cover letter (including anticipated graduate date)
- One letter of recommendation from a U.S. source
- Acquire a fundamental understanding of federal immigration regulations.
- Develop and improve leadership, team-building, computer application development, program planning, communication, and organizational skills in a diverse environment which support innovation and creativity.
- Use opportunities to meet and interact with international and domestic students, faculty, and staff.
- Experience in working with and developing creative content.
- Ability to work as part of a communications team in a dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to lift and carry computer equipment up to 25lbs.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time at the computer; job requires heavy concentration.
- Ability to set up systems which may include work under desks.
- Experience with ISSM and Banner preferred.
- Knowledge of some immigration regulations preferred.
- Knowledge of university policies and procedures preferred.