Accounting Assistant - Business Office
Modesto Junior College
Accounting Assistant - Business Office
Salary: $3,014 to $3,852 per month- Range 21 (2017-2018 Classified Salary Schedule)
40 hours per week, 12 months per year.
Monday through Thursday: 8:30-5:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
May include weekend and evening hours.
Appointments are hired at the first step of the range. The second step is paid after the first year of satisfactory service with subsequent steps annually thereafter to a maximum sixth step.
Complete job description and application available online at: http://yosemite.peopleadmin.com/postings/3562
Under general supervision, performs clerical financial duties related to the processing, preparation and maintenance of financial, accounting and statistical records; receives, reviews, verifies and processes a wide range of financial and accounting-related documents; prepares and maintains financial reports and records; and performs related work as assigned.
This is the journey/full working level clerical class in the Accounting Support Series within the Yosemite Community College District (YCCD). Positions in this class perform the full range of journey level clerical duties in support of department fiscal, financial and accounting functions. Positions at this level may be assigned to various divisions or work units within YCCD.
This class may be distinguished from the higher-level class of Accounting Technician because incumbents in that class perform technical-level work in support of fiscal/financial/accounting functions, applying knowledge and experience in specialized subject areas to make decisions and complete assignments.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Incumbents in this class work under general supervision, working alone on routine or regular work assignments and checking with a supervisor on non-routine assignments or when in doubt as to the correct procedures to follow.
An incumbent in this class does not directly lead or supervise other full-time employees, but may assign, direct and/or monitor the work of subordinate full time, part time, and/or student employees on a project or assignment basis.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The knowledge and ability requirements are representative of essential duties. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
• Methods, techniques and practices of clerical and computerized accounting systems including accounts receivable, accounts payable, budget monitoring, student disbursement, and general ledger maintenance.
• Financial record keeping and bookkeeping practices and procedures.
• Business arithmetic as applied to accounting and auditing support functions.
• Modern office procedures, methods and equipment including business computer user applications, particularly as related to accounting systems.
• Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations.
• Perform detailed accounting clerical work accurately.
• Prepare, maintain, and reconcile various financial accounts and records.
• Make accurate arithmetic calculations.
• Prioritize work, coordinate several activities, and meet critical deadlines.
• Organize and maintain office files.
• Interpret and apply laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education, experience and/or training that would likely provide the above-required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. Typical background patterns that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities are:
• Experience: One year equivalent to an Accounting Assistant at YCCD.
OR Pattern II
• Experience: Two years performing office administrative support work, including at least one year performing routine fiscal, financial or accounting clerical work that included some responsibility with computer-assisted accounting record management systems.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES (Illustrative Only)
• Performs a wide range of clerical accounting tasks related to accounts receivable, accounts payable, budget monitoring, student disbursement, cash handling and general ledger maintenance.
• Assembles, tabulates, checks and files financial and accounting-related data.
• Posts information to manual and/or computerized account systems.
• Reviews, audits and processes financial documents such as invoices, purchase orders, warrants and inventory records; works with vendors and others to resolve discrepancies.
• Matches invoices to purchase orders.
• Assists with gathering data for the preparation of financial statements and reports.
• Reviews and balances computer-prepared accounting reports.
• Receives money and maintains records of cash receipts.
• Accounts for and prepares bank deposit documents.
• Prepares and processes requisitions, purchase orders, warrants and other financial documents.
• Performs general administrative and clerical duties such as sorting, filing, duplicating, answering phones, and responding to informational inquiries.
• Operates a variety of office machines and equipment, including computers.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Licenses and Certificates
• Depending upon assignment, possession of a valid typing certificate for 45 words per minute may be required.
• Depending upon assignment, possession of a valid license to drive in California may be required.
YCCD is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.