Assistant Professor of Painting/Drawing/Foundations
About UMass Amherst:
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Department of Art at the University of Massachusetts Amherst invites applications for a full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor position in painting, drawing, and foundations program to begin September 1, 2019. The department values diversity as a factor in academic and artistic excellence.
We seek applications from active artists with significant exhibition records and experience teaching painting and drawing at all levels. The successful candidate will have in-depth knowledge of painting techniques and be conversant in traditional and contemporary issues in painting and contemporary critical discourse. We welcome applicants who possess working knowledge of other image-making processes, such as printmaking, photography, and/or digital media.
Responsibilities will include teaching courses in Foundations to graduate level, participating in department and university services, including overseeing drawing and painting facilities, student advising and serving on MFA thesis committees. Course load will include one class per year within our dynamic and interdisciplinary Foundations Program.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- MFA, or an equivalent degree, with an emphasis on painting and drawing
- Two years of teaching beyond graduate school
- Demonstrated commitment to program and course development and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students
- Experience in successful teaching in foundations program
- Record of inclusive excellence serving diverse populations in teaching, creative research and/or service
- Knowledge of industrial health and safety and contemporary best practices
The online application is a two-part process.
- Please upload the following items to PageUp at:http://careers.umass.edu/amherst/en-us/job/495872/assistant-professor-of-paintingdrawingfoundations
- Cover letter
- Statement of teaching philosophy, including statement of diversity
- 2 sample syllabi
- Names and contact information of three references including valid email addresses
2. Please submit the following images to SlideRoom at: https://umassamherstart.slideroom.com/#/permalink/program/45780
- 20 images of professional portfolio
- 20 images of student work
Please submit your application materials through PageUp and SlideRoom by the priority deadline of January 2, 2019 to ensure consideration. The search will remain open until filled; however, applications received after the priority deadline may not be reviewed.
The Department of Art at the University of Massachusetts Amherst offers post-secondary education in a full range of disciplines that include painting, drawing, sculpture, ceramics, printmaking, animation, intermedia, and art education. Interdisciplinary study is at the core of our philosophy, and we encourage students to pursue experience across art disciplines, as well as exploring the diverse fields of arts, humanities, and sciences open to them at this premier research university. More information on the Department of Art can be found here: https://www.umass.edu/art/.
The University is committed to active recruitment of a diverse faculty and student body. The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members. Because broad diversity is essential to an inclusive climate and critical to the University's goals of achieving excellence in all areas, we will holistically assess the many qualifications of each applicant and favorably consider an individual's record working with students and colleagues with broadly diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds in educational, research or other work activities. We will also favorably consider experience overcoming or helping others overcome barriers to an academic degree and career.
We are seeking talented applicants qualified for an assistant professor position. Under exceptional circumstances, highly qualified candidates at other ranks may receive consideration.