Archives & Special Collections
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Reporting to the Assistant Director for Archives and Special Collections the Access Archivist coordinates many of the public-facing aspects for the unit. This position is primarily responsible for ensuring discoverability and access of Gordon Library's university archives, manuscripts, rare books, and art & object collections.
- Oversee day to day operations of the Fellman Dickens Reading room and virtual service points including coordinating responses to in-person, telephone, instant message, or e-mail inquiries.
- Conduct bibliographic sessions and provide one-on-one and group research consultations in-person and virtually.
- Assist with the processing and metadata entry of both new and legacy manuscript and archival collections using Archives Space.
- Support the marketing of Archives and Special Collections to the campus community and beyond via print and electronic outlets such as campus publications, press releases, or social media.
- Oversee the fulfillment of Digital Reproduction Requests (DRR) for both the campus community and visiting researchers.
- Collaborate on the research, installation, and promotion of physical and digital exhibits in permanent galleries and for special events.
- Gather statistics on reading room use, material circulation, and reference requests.
- Serve on appropriate library and campus committees and working groups.
- Participate in the recruitment, training, and supervision of student workers and volunteer staff.
- Record donor gifts and departmental transfers into gift and accession logs as appropriate.
- Evening and weekend work may be required.
- Participates in professional development as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS degree.
- Two years' experience working in an archives, special collections, cultural heritage center, or related institution.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current standards, practices, and trends related to archival processing, appraisal, digitization, and description.
- Experience working with metadata standards and content management systems with a preference for experience with Archives Space or Past Perfect.
- Refined communication skills, an ability to work independently or collaboratively, and the willingness to work as part of a diverse and energetic community.
- Ability to life 40lb boxes to waist level.
- Pre-employment criminal background check.
- Additional advanced degree(s) in a related field, with a background in archives or library setting.
- Familiarity with social media platforms and their use in promoting archival or cultural heritage institutions.
- Experience working in a university or college setting, particularly with students and faculty.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing education or professional activities.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Access-Archivist_R0000130
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency