Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-System Office
Lone Star College, located in the north metropolitan Houston area, is one of the largest and fastest growing community colleges in the country featuring six comprehensive colleges and 10 centers with over 95,000 credit and non-credit students each semester, an annual budget exceeding $500,000,000, and 7,300 employees spread over a 2100 square mile area.
LSC adds $3.1 billion to the local and regional economy by providing educational opportunities across the north Houston region.
Lone Star College-System Office employees are based at one of two System Office locations; The Woodlands and University Park. Both are the site for multiple administrative departments and system-wide training programs.
This position is located at the LSC-System Office at 5000 Research Forest Drive. The Woodlands, Texas 77381.
Utilizes a specialized skill set in performing assigned duties and tasks. Responsible for general security of students and employees. Patrols campus grounds and building; directs traffic on campus; investigates all offenses, accidents, incidents; prepares a written report of such; makes arrests as necessary, and assists the public. Has a valid TCOLE license and carries a firearm at all times on duty.
- Patrols campus grounds and buildings, checking doors, windows, and gates to ensure that they are properly secured
- Investigates all offenses and incidents
- Makes court appearances
- Writes a thorough and accurate report on every criminal complaint, accident, or other significant incident
- Provides assistances to all students, faculties, and visitors, Responds to calls for first aid and medical assists
- Applies acquired expanded skills related to analytical, technical, or operational process
- Applies experience and skills to complete assigned work within own area of expertise
- Works within clearly defined standard operating procedures and adheres to quality guidelines
- Works under a moderate degree of supervision
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Microsoft Office
- Remote access systems may be required
- Proficiency in the use of firearms
- Ability to communicate well
- Ability to work under pressure, remain calm in emergency situations, and skilled in conflict resolution
- Subject to extended periods of intense concentration in review of crime scenes, investigations, and preparing law enforcement reports
- Ability to drive a patrol vehicle
- Subject to physical harm such as weapons and physical attacks
- Vision (Near, Distance, Color, Peripheral, Depth Perception); possesses the ability to detect and observe movement and activity in extremely low light situations
- Ability to stand for lengthy periods of time and perform strenuous physical exertion including bending, stooping, running, reaching, lifting, pushing, pulling, etc.
- Ability to carry moderately heavy items on an as needed basis such as jump start booster pack and barricades to limit vehicular traffic. Work is performed primarily in an external environment with exposure to inclement weather and varying temperatures
- Picking, holding, or otherwise working, primarily with the whole hand. Finger dexterity necessary to operate equipment used in the position
- Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body
- May be required to physically restrain persons
- Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discrimination in sound
- Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word including those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly
- Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and reports
- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment. Machines, tools, equipment and work aids which may be representative but not all-inclusive of those commonly associated with this job. Motor vehicle and standard issue police equipment as specified by departmental policies
- Internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed primarily out-of-doors and may be exposed to extreme weather. Exposure to potentially dangerous situations and the use of firearms necessitate the observance of appropriate safety precautions. Requires weekend duty and shift work
Duration of Posting:
Posted until filled
- Applicants must qualify with ONE of the following:
- No police officer experience, but applicant has a high school diploma and 60 earned hours from an accredited college or university;
- OR, Applicant has an Intermediate Peace Officer's certification from TCOLE;
- OR, Applicant has at least four years of United States military service with an honorable discharge;
- OR, Applicant is an Out of State peace officer transferring to Texas and determined by the Chief of Police to have sufficient prior service to waive college/university credit hours
- Applicant must possess at least a Basic TCOLE peace officers license
- Valid Texas Driver's License with a driving record that meets the criteria established by the System
- Once hired, must be able to pass Lone Star College Police Department's field training program
- Must be able to maintain TCOLE Peace Officer's license throughout employment as a Peace Officer
Benefits Marketing Statement:
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance.
This includes 22-23 days paid holidays and up to 12 annual vacation days, full comprehensive benefits package, wellness program, professional development opportunities and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY!
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-The Woodlands
Work Locations: 5000 Research Forest Drive (0000) , 5000 Research Forrest Drive , Houston , 77381
Organization: System Office - 00
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Required Documents: Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Nov 9, 2018, 1:24:02 AM