The University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) is one of four campuses in the University of Colorado system and is home to over 12,400 undergraduate and 1,800 graduate students. UCCS is among the fastest growing universities in the state and is consistently ranked as one of the top Western regional universities by U.S. News & World Report. Colorado Springs, (pop. 400K+) is situated at the base of Pikes Peak, offers many recreational and cultural activities and was recently ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top Best Places to Live in the U.S.
Nature of Work
This is a technical position within the Web Services division of Information Technology. The position will be responsible for creating, updating and maintaining the UI/UX of web sites and web applications. The position must comply with various industry, university and department standards. The position will work with the campus web Content Management System (wCMS) and help develop web sites for the campus faculty, staff and students. This position will be part of a team and must be able to collaborate and work in a team environment as well as work independently.
Web Designer, UI/UX Developer, Graphical Designer, Information Architecture and Content Strategy.
Examples of Work Performed
- Assist with the creation of front-end interfaces for web applications and utilities for the UCCS campus.
- Creating standards-compliant and cross-browser compatible webpages and templates using HTML/CSS and JS.
- Modifying existing website to improve functionality and incorporating new features into existing web sites.
- Identifies and incorporates new technology, solutions and functionality into the UCCS website.
- Wireframes design concepts for new design layouts from various sources.
- Serves as a technical resource for the Web Services unit and the IT department.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A strong desire to keep up with the constantly evolving standards on the web, and willingness to learn new frameworks and methodologies as needed.
- Ability to create dynamic, modern websites and write standards compliant HTML/CSS that works across multiple browsers.
- Experience creating coherent information architecture for a collection of content.
- Experience working with web Content Management systems (wCMS).
- Thorough understanding of web technologies (HTML5, CSS3, accessibility, jQuery, JS).
- Basic understanding of HTTP as well as knowledge of how to optimize webpage performance.
- Ability to explain the design processes and willingness to collaborate with the design ideas of others.
- Understanding of Google analytics
Salary -Non Negotiable
This position has been determined to be exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- Graduation from an accredited College or University with a Bachelor's degree.
- Relevant work experience can be substituted on a year-for-year basis in lieu of a degree.
- Two or more years experience designing and building websites, particularly for higher education and within a wCMS.
- jQuery experience.
- Experience developing ADA compliant websites.
- wCMS experience.
- Photoshop/Illustrator experience.
- Experience wireframing design concepts.
- Experience creating/modifying themes in Wordpress and/or Drupal.
- Bootstrap experience and/or familiarity with responsive design techniques.
- Strong design skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and tactfulness.
- Able to work in a close team effort where ongoing collaboration among team members and various interconnecting projects.
- Must be a confident self-starter who possesses tenacity, curiosity, and eye for design and a strong desire for self-improvement.
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Applications submitted by November 22, 2018 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
Travel for in-person interviews will be reimbursed. If you are offered the job and do not accept, no reimbursement will be allowed. • The successful candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States upon hire. • The University of Colorado Colorado Springs will not sponsor work visas or permanent resident applications for this position. * Tentative telephone interviews 3-4 December and tentative on campus interviews 12-13 December with a potential start date of 1 January 2019
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:If you have technical difficulties with your application, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200 #5 or [email protected] Job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40087 - IT Administrative Operations
Posting Date: Nov 8, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jeremy Sparks
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00002412