Student Success Coach
Job location: San Jose, CA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2018-11-03
The Student Success Coach serves as the main point of contact for an assigned group of students to guide them to achieve academic success. The Success Coach will counsel, motivate, advise, tutor, assist with course selection, and assist with the enrollment process in order to help all students meet their educational goals. The incumbent is also a member of the Pacific Oaks Student Affairs Support Teams.
This position reports directly to the San Jose Campus Dean, with a dotted line reporting relationship to the Pasadena Director of the Center for Achievement, Resources and Enrichment (CARE), and the Director of Academic Advising.
- Support students from enrollment through graduation.
- Resolve problems by clarifying issues; researching and exploring answers and alternative solutions; implementing solutions; escalating unresolved problems. Follow up to ensure resolution of each issue.
- Counsel and advise students through various modes of communication: phone, email, text, and telecommunication.
- Enroll students by focusing on outreach and retention efforts.
- Work collaboratively with other departments and services, across the schools and locations to understand processes, systems, and services and to resolve student issues.
- Work closely with campus staff to address student issues.
- Work with students to ensure a solid academic plan and ensure continued registration.
- Provide accurate individualized basic academic advising to a group of assigned students.
- Collaborate and escalate potential issues through the Academic Appeals process to provide students with necessary academic interventions for early alert, satisfactory academic progress plans, and other academic needs.
- Closely track students' progress, through communication and analytics, for each academic term, to ensure class attendance and academic progress.
- Identify at-risk students and determine potential issues and connect them to tutoring, and/or correct any existing issues.
- The point of contact for student onboarding once the initial enrollment process is completed.
- Take students through the New Student Orientation either individually or as a group.
- An immense amount of product knowledge is required for this job. This will include program specific knowledge in Student Information System, in Canvas, and Customer service.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of student success initiative, development, and implementation.
- Knowledge of educational advising, tutoring and test administration, principles, practices, techniques and theory.
- Ability to relate to a diverse population and to maintain composure when faced with difficult situations.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify solutions and take appropriate action, resolve problems using independent judgment and decision-making processes.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, other department staff, students and the public through excellent verbal and written communication.
- Skilled in listening to issues, synthesizing information, and reaching sound conclusions.
- Skilled in presenting ideas and concepts orally and in writing to a diverse audience and adapt communication style to that audience.
- Exceptional customer service, and analytical skills with attention to detail, with the ability to embrace and drive change.
- Ability to work independently while contributing to team environment
- High energy; passionate about student success.
- Commitment to excellence in providing student services.
- Able to easily navigate other software programs and forms of technology as needed.
- Bachelor's degree from Regionally Accredited Institution required/Masters Preferred.
- At least 3 years' experience in an educational setting providing direct service to students, with a minimum of 2 years’ experience working in an adult education setting experience preferred.
- 3 years’ experience in a customer-service focused environment.
- This position requires occasional evening and weekend work.
- A minimum of 5% travel, with a reliable form of transportation.
Pacific Oaks offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of diversity and social justice. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical, vision, and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, 403b with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition discount, and other perks.
Pacific Oaks is an affiliate of TCS Education System. To apply for this position or others, visit our Careers’ Page at: www.pacificoaks.edu
Pacific Oaks participates in E-Verify and verifies identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Pacific Oaks offers equal employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, parental status, housing status, source of income or military status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.