Supply Chain Manager
Who are we:
The vision of UCCS Dining and Food Services is to be a recognized leader in service delivery and food sustainability to cultivate and nurture a healthy campus culture where access to wholesome, seasonal, and local food directly links to wellness, sense of place, and environmental protection. Aligning UCCS Dining and Food Services with campus sustainability efforts allows for the integration of academic programs and community action, thereby providing students invaluable experiential learning opportunities. This includes preparing and serving healthy, flavorful, sustainable, and nutritious food produced through fiscally responsible and mindful practices that nourish and support our community.
Nature of Work:
This position will assist with the direct purchasing responsibilities over all food, supplies, equipment, and services purchased for Dining Services. The primary responsibilities of this position are to manage Food Stores, including purchase, storage, issue, and delivery of related products. Assist coordinator for procurement with centralizing the purchasing efforts of the unit, procure the highest quality food and ensure that it is readily available in production units, and assist with purchasing equipment. This position will also assist with dining services purchase agreements, the prime vending process, and will coordinate with the Procurement Services Center (PSC) as needed. Responsible for special event set-up support, including tents, BBQ grills and alcohol purchase, set-up, collection, storage and inventory.
35% Procurement and Production Analysis and Systems
- Supervise and direct the store's operations to insure proper order, receipt, storage, and delivery of goods from Food Stores to the service units. Evaluate the performances of employees in Food Stores.
- Provide data to coordinator for procurement in order to perform cost analysis to improve bid methods, purchase techniques, and time utilization resulting in cost savings for the unit.
- Oversee physical inventories of Food Stores. Set PAR levels as one of the measures to ensure the proper flow of food and supplies through Food Stores.
- Recommend policies and procedures for receiving and storage of goods, unit inventories, Dining Services' production and purchasing practices.
- Create PO's, SPO's, and DPO's and approve invoices as needed.
- Participate on Procurement Task Force Team to determine the major issues for procurement and develop the perspective of the current and future status. Assist with developing recommendations on how to achieve the future status and how to centralize the purchasing efforts of the unit.
- Assist with the prime vending process.
- Assist in standardizing the invoice payment process and establish procedures for dining operations and Food Stores to streamline the payment process.
- Supports a taste testing team by working with chef, vendors, and dining staff to contribute to the goal of providing food that is fresh, tasty, and nutritious.
- Assist with establishing standards and specifications for food quality and standards for purchase of supplies in compliance with all university, state, local, and campus purchasing policies and guidelines.
- Assist with coordinating, implementing, and managing all standing purchase orders for Dining Services.
- Assist the coordinator for procurement and the assistant director of dining facilities with writing detailed specifications and bids for use in purchases of food, supplies, and equipment, and provide on-going management of bids as needed.
- Assist with the initiation and monitoring of paperwork and records of bids, specifications, purchase requests, purchase order renewals, order forms, inventory records, end of the month reports, and other records to insure correct information is available to the unit.
- Review orders for the dining unit, analyze bids, negotiate pricing, and assure that all specifics are followed.
- Driver's license and ability to drive and get around campus quickly in response to emergency situations required.
35% Administrative Support
- Assist with all vendor rebate programs. Utilize point award systems established by manufacturers to earn credits toward the NACUFS National Conference.
- Verify all receiving, posting, and billing with Food Stores.
- Participate in departmental and university committees to keep abreast of issues and changes in the field, continuous improvement and review of processes.
- Participate with projects to examine specific services within the unit and help make changes in policies and procedures when needed.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the unit's strategic plan, long and short range goals, and action plans.
- Act as a liaison between Dining Services and vendors during emergencies.
- Ensure all human resources related functions of the job are completed in a timely manner. These functions may include, but are not limited to, training, performance planning and evaluation, and recommendation for hiring and termination of employees supervised.
- Responsible for overseeing the set-up, break-down, and storage of tents and BBQ grills for special events.
- Responsible for overseeing purchase, pick-up, delivery, inventory, and storage/returns of alcohol for special events.
20% Vendor Relations
- Confer with vendors, brokers, and companies on a daily basis regarding quantities (shorts/returns), prices, deliveries, and billing issues.
- Assure vendor adherence to purchasing contracts and bid specifications.
- Assist with the inspection of vendor facilities to assure safety and sanitation practices.
- Assist with price audits.
- Recommend communications and corrective actions, including correspondence, meetings, inspections, and cancellations as needed to maintain quality standards for all vendor agreements.
10% Quality Control
- Work as a team member for Dining Services to review policies and procedures for the department to assure the highest level of quality standards for all food and equipment.
- Monitor and report any anomalies to distributors on percentage of out of stock items, broken cases, and unacceptable substitutions of product and pricing of invoices.
- Provide leadership and identify the specifications for acquisition of new equipment with the coordinator for dining facilities and the coordinator for procurement.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Independent judgments regarding decisions are made routinely on such issues as specialty/opportunity buying, inventory levels to be maintained with consideration given to requirements on a seasonal, annual, and ongoing daily basis.
- Actively participate in face-to-face communication with dining service management, staff, other department personnel, product manufacturers, delivery personnel, sales personnel, and the university community in general. Letters, phone, FAX, and e-mail information with other departments, schools and businesses.
- Need mental calmness to avoid stress.
- Constant thought process to ensure less error due to interruptions. Reaction time must be safe, sure, and experienced.
- Strong ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers while working under tight deadlines with strong attention to detail.
This position has been determined to be exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and as such, it is not eligible for overtime compensation.
$45,691.00 to $55,383.00
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on university benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history
- Bachelor's degree in Food Service Management, Business, or related field from an accredited college PLUS 2 years' experience in food production management.
- (Professional experience in Food Service Management, Business, or related field totaling 6 years may be a Bachelor's degree PLUS 2 years' experience; Associates degree PLUS 4 years' experience OR 6 years' experience).
- Two or more years' experience in hospitality/foodservice supply chain/procurement management.
- Two or more years' supervisory experience in a high volume food service environment.
- Two or more years' experience of food specifications and food production management, procurement, inventory management, quality control, safety, and sanitation.
- Two or more years' experience (Microsoft Excel, Word, e-mail, POS systems).
- Valid Colorado driver's license.
- Successful ServeSafe certification within first 2 weeks for employment.
Preferred Requirements: In addition to the above minimum requirements
- Two or more years' experience of state of Colorado procurement policies and regulations.
- Two or more years' experience working with an automated menu and inventory management foodservice system such as CBORD, FoodPro, etc.
- ServeSafe certified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Applications submitted by November 22, 2018 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Failure to properly attach the required documents; cover letter; resume (CV) and unofficial transcript, will result in automatic disqualification for this position. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:If you have technical difficulties with your application, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200 #5 or [email protected] Job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact.
Job Category: Hospitality
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40253 - VCSS-AUX-Dining&HospitalitySvc
Posting Date: Nov 8, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jessica Bell
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00734296