(Full-time) Payroll Technician (up to 2 positions)
Description of Basic Functions and Responsibilities
The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District (Shasta College) sits at the northern end of the Sacramento Valley, surrounded by mountains to the north, east, and west. The area provides a wide array of outdoor amenities and activities with miles of hiking and biking trails, national parks, two lakes, and the Sacramento River.
Shasta College is committed to providing its diverse student population with equitable education outcomes, contributing to the social, cultural, intellectual, and economic development of our communities. The college has been recognized as a leader in developing and implementing innovative education programs to increase student success, including accelerated pathways for high school students to achieve a bachelor's degree and for returning students to complete their Associate and Bachelor's degrees. Shasta College enrolls more than 11,000 students annually and provides educational services to students with a wide range of skills and abilities.
Our ideal candidate is motivated to join a campus community prioritizing the success of our racially and socio-economically diverse staff and student population. Providing equitable outcomes so all members of our community may enjoy safe, healthy, and vibrant educational and employment environments is critical to our success.
DESCRIPTION OF BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform a wide variety of highly responsible technical and clerical functions involved in daily payroll operations. Employees in this classification receive limited supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures. Employees in this classification may train, oversee, and review the work of student assistants. This job class exercises responsibility for the accurate and timely processing and maintenance of district payroll records and transactions. This includes processing payroll deductions, benefits, and various payroll correspondence for all employee classes. This job class requires proficient knowledge of payroll procedures and regulations.
CLASSIFICATION: Range 33 on the Classified Salary Schedule, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year. Work assignment hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday,
SUPERVISOR: Comptroller or designee
BENEFITS: Holiday, vacation and sick time will be provided. Our competitive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance provided at a share of cost on a pretax basis, CalPERS Retirement and an employee assistance program (EAP).
Employees have the option to contribute to:
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- 403(b) and 457 Retirement Plans
- Section 125 Plan including Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) and Dependent Day Care Accounts
- Disability Income Insurance
- Cancer Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Accident Only Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
Examples of typical duties are descriptive and not restrictive in nature.
- Assists the District Payroll Officer in performing functions relative to processing District payroll for all employee groups.
- Assists in balancing, auditing, and reconciling payroll records and various reports within established controls.
- Collects, receives, and verifies a variety of payroll documents, forms, records, and information.
- Maintains files, journals, and worksheets to provide full documentation for District payroll records.
- Performs data entry in the maintenance and processing of assigned records.
- Assists in reviewing and reconciling various payroll reports and transactions for accuracy and compliance with District, County, State and Federal laws and regulations.
- Processes employee garnishments and standard payroll deductions.
- Reviews and processes direct deposit forms in payroll system.
- Verifies and processes unemployment claims.
- Responsible for reporting with PERS and STRS retirement systems.
- Assists with query requests from departments and for payroll reporting
- Creates time cards for all payroll groups.
- Validates authorizations to hire received from Human Resources department
- Applies appropriate rules and regulations to resolve payroll problems.
- Assists in training and overseeing student assistants in proper procedures, standards, and requirements related to payroll assignment.
- Prepares reports, statements, letters, memos, and other correspondence related to assigned functions.
- Establish and maintain detailed and organized work process and work flows.
- Performs other duties similar to the above in scope and function as required.
- Office methods, practices, and procedures including information systems and electronic data processing.
- General payroll principles, laws, regulations, and procedures.
- Computerized systems pertaining to payroll record keeping, processing, and operations.
- Proper use and operation of standard office equipment and machines such as computer, adding machine, copier, fax, and other technologies.
- Learn district, Federal, State, and County policies, procedures, and regulations related to assigned payroll functions
- Understand and carry out a variety of complex directions with limited supervision.
- Establish and maintain accurate payroll records and prepare accurate financial and statistical summaries and reports.
- Perform mathematical calculations accurately and rapidly.
- Assemble, organize, and analyze data in an effective and useful manner.
- Apply rules and regulations accurately to complex, unique, and novel cases.
- Operate a variety of standard office machines and equipment such as computer, adding machine, copier, fax, and other technologies.
- Type and ten key by touch accurately at a rate appropriate for timely and successful job performance.
- Communicate effectively in both oral and written forms.
- Learn from errors, determine appropriate corrective action, and prevent repeated occurrences.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others, including those from diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural, ethnic, and disability backgrounds.
- High school diploma and two years of full-time college coursework; Associates of Arts degree in business, accounting, or related subjects preferred. Directly related practical experience may be substituted for education.
- Two years of payroll and clerical responsibilities.
- Possess a 10-key certificate demonstrating 7,000 keystrokes per hour.
- 10-key certificate reflecting a minimum of 7,000 KPH taken within the last year (Online 10-key certificates, such as www.freetypinggame.net, will be accepted. If score is provided in keystrokes/words per minute, it will be converted to keystrokes per hour).
- Cover letter addressing criteria listed in the position announcement
- Current resume
- College transcripts (unofficial will be accepted at the time of application)
- Internal candidates must also apply online and submit all required materials to be considered.
- Permanent Internal candidates cannot attach evaluations OR letters of recommendation from administrators or Board of Trustee members.
- Interviews will be by invitation only.
- Interviews are held on campus. No Skype or phone interviews.
- The District does not provide expense/travel reimbursement for expense/travel costs incurred during the interview process.
Longevity pay in accordance with Section 8.8 of the Classified Employee Collective Bargaining Agreement. The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District ("Shasta College") does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religious preference, age, disability (physical and mental), pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity, sexual orientation, genetics, military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Shasta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking