Vice President, Academic Affairs
Job location: Oakland, CA - Pasadena, CA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2018-10-12
We are considering applicants who are based in the following locations only:Pasadena, CAJob Description:
Saybrook University seeks Vice President for Academic Affairs
Click here to view position profile. https://summitsearchsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Saybrook_VPAA_Profile.pdf
Location: Pasadena, California
The Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA) assumes authority/responsibility as delegated by the President of the University and the Board of Trustees to fulfill the mission of the institution by leading and managing all academic units and related units of the university. The VPAA assumes the role of Chief Academic Officer and Accreditation Liaison Officer of the institution by ensuring high standards of academic quality; maintaining a well-credentialed faculty committed to excellence in instruction; overseeing program curriculums; leading accreditation, approval, and authorization activities; managing the strategic direction of all academic units; creating and managing budgets with a focus on strong fiscal discipline; and by maintaining alignment of all academic and student affairs initiatives with the institution’s strategic plan.
The VPAA is also responsible for creating and maintaining processes that effectively unite academic units, enrollment management services, and student success to execute on key initiatives for the institution and ensuring that the University maintains regional and professional accreditation.
In coordination with TCS Education System, the VPAA will also work across System offices and affiliate institutions to identify and execute on cooperative activities that enhance both the University and the System affiliates.
This position serves as the senior-most member of the university’s leadership team and serves as Acting President during periods of vacancy, vacation, or illness. The VPAA will develop/administer an annual operating budget of approximately $15+ M. S/he will develop and submit an annual capital budget to the President for University Board approval and will monitor productivity and cost-effectiveness as well as develop strategies for improvement and pursue the potential for revenue enhancements and expense reduction.
Reporting to the President, the Vice President for Academic Affairs will indirectly supervise approximately 160 faculty and staff with the support of the following seven direct reports: Associate VPAA, Registrar, College Deans (2), Dean of Students, Library Services Director, and Administrative Assistant.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Academic Affairs Leadership (70%)
- Provides academic leadership, guidance, and oversight to academic leaders and faculty of the College.
- Leverages university System partnerships to expand new degree programs and implement other diverse revenue streams.
- Promotes shared governance and supports collaborative engagement between faculty, administration, and Board of Trustees.
- Initiates and, as appropriate, collaborates in the development and administration of academic programs, curricula, policies, and procedures.
- Ensures that practices are consistent with the mission, vision, values, and goals of the University.
- Collaborates with University leaders related to processes for achieving and maintaining approval, certification, and accreditation of the institution and its programs.
- Develops processes to assure for the provision of well-qualified/credentialed faculty and staff.
- Provides for the employment, control, and discharge of all university employees within the divisions overseen.
- Recommends to the president, faculty promotion as specified in the College Rank and Promotion Policy, as appropriate/applicable.
- Assures that an effective orientation process is implemented for new hires/appointees as well as a development process for existing employees under the purview of the VPAA.
- Ensures that processes guiding the provision of quality education are appropriately implemented and evaluated.
- Assures processes are in place to identify and provide for faculty/staff continuing education needs and development.
- Facilitates strong communication and productive relationships with the administration, TCS Education System colleagues, other university officials, faculty, students, contractual agencies, and approval/accreditation bodies.
- Participates in, or assigns a designee to participate in, committees/meetings of the member organization as appropriate.
- Prepares and presents reports to the Saybrook University Board of Trustees, as directed by and in collaboration with the President; Collaborates with the Board Chair of the Academic Affairs Committee.
- Upon review/approval of the faculty and certification by the registrar, formally recommends to the President that students are certified to graduate.
- Participates in related Board and university functions as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned/appropriate.
Financial Leadership (15%)
- In partnership with President and support team, identify and implement strategies that substantially contribute to financial growth and health of the institution.
- Delivers strong area financial performance throughout each fiscal year.
- Prioritizes utilization of funding for academic units that align with the mission and strategic vision of the institution.
- Engages in revenue enhancement through judicious fund management, participation in strategic development initiatives, and tuition generation.
- Prepares and presents the annual operating and capital budgets for academic affairs areas.
- Other duties as assigned/appropriate.
Institutional and Program Effectiveness Leadership (15%)
- Assumes an active role in regional, professional and other accreditation activities as appropriate.
- Interprets and performs assignments in compliance with pertinent federal, state and local laws, and contractual regulations relative to areas of assignment.
- Serves as, or designates an individual to serve as, the Title IX Coordinator, responsible for coordinating and investigating all student-initiated sexual harassment complaints including fact-finding and due diligence.
- Supervises, monitors and reviews college discipline activities, student rights and due process, meets with and advises faculty on student discipline procedures, campus publicity and facilities use, as appropriate.
- Serves as, or designates an individual to serve as the Chief Student Affairs Officer and is responsible for facilitating student issues, complaints and grievances in compliance with procedures for conflict resolution.
- Oversees quality assurance of what is represented in the university catalog, student handbook, code of conduct, and other relevant documents.
- Provides leadership on and is involved in institutional and divisional assessment initiatives, as appropriate.
- Collaborates with the Office of Institutional Research as well as all other institutional divisions and offices in reviewing and applying a variety of objective and subjective data to assess the effectiveness of curriculum design.
- Facilitates divisional faculty-staff engagement on all matters related to institutional effectiveness.
- Other duties as assigned/appropriate.
- Doctorate from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning is required (PhD, EdD or PsyD are preferred).
- Demonstrated achievements in building and delivering fully online and hybrid programs a must as the University intends to substantially expand these areas over the next five (5) years.
- Demonstrated background in strategic planning, strategic planning execution and KPI monitoring.
- Minimum of five years of combined faculty and administrative experience, highly desired.
- Proven track record of program expansion, particularly in virtual modalities.
- Knowledge of higher education best practices with a strong background in and/or knowledge of, academic processes, student affairs and enrollment management a strong plus.
- Knowledge of finance, and complex systems with a demonstrated track record in strategic planning and revenue enhancement highly desired.
- Experience with accreditation agencies and state regulatory agencies, e.g., WSCUC is strongly preferred but not required.
- Ability to translate academic and business processes within the academic milieu.
- Ability to effectively manage virtual and ground-based teams.
- Strong written and oral communication skills are required.
Saybrook University will be moving its headquarters from its current location (Oakland) to Pasadena, California during the summer of 2019.
Confidential review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; parties who apply by November 5, 2018 will be given first consideration. Please submit a PDF version of your resume and cover letter outlining your interest in and suitability for this position. To apply online, go to https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=su114.
For nominations or further information:
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.
Direct: (828) 645-8967
Saybrook University offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.