Senior Interior Designer
Requisition # 2018-9271
Department Office of Captial Projects
Category Facilities Management and Physical Plant
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Princeton University's Department of Facilities, Office of Capital Projects (OCP), seeks a Senior Interior Designer to join a dynamic team of professional designers. The Senior Interior Designer will report to the Program Manager, Campus Interiors, and be a member of the design team comprising of five interior designers who work in collaboration with OCP Program and Project Managers and with staff in other Facilities departments, including the Office of the University Architect. Clear and concise communications, orally and written, is key at all levels from senior executives to individual clients to project teams to contractors. Establishing and monitoring client expectations and soliciting client feedback is critical for the Senior Designer in order to succeed in delivering a successful project on time and within budget.
The Senior Designer will be responsible for projects that range from the renovation of a single faculty office to being a part of a larger team for new capital projects with budget responsibilities ranging from $1,500 to $7,000,000. The emphasis will be on academic spaces, administrative office spaces, residential living housing and student centers. The Senior Designer portfolio of work will include a wide range of project types, up to 50-60 projects annually with an estimated average spend of $ 4,000,000.The Senior Designer will need to excel in a complex, active environment where priorities require continuous monitoring and adjustments. This ability to prioritize is extremely critical especially during the academic breaks when the workload will increase substantially.
This is a three year term, benefits, eligible position.
- Manage all phases of small and large interior design projects through the entire project life-cycle, including project set-up, cost estimates, design, installation, administration and post occupancy. Work in collaboration with capital project teams, managing internal and external designers to insure that University goals and standards are met.
- Manage project scheduling, budgets and set-up with sub-contractors, vendors and consultants. Track and report on financial performance of projects to senior management.
- Prepare project scopes, negotiate contracts and fees, and coordinate bidding process and analysis. Ensure projects conform to contract and approved scope.
- Direct, organize, and mentor junior staff with responsibility to oversight.
- Maintain furniture and interior design standards. Drive value engineering exercises to continuously improve design standards and mitigate unnecessary costs.
- Partner with key internal and external stakeholders to ensure projects are completed on time and within client expectations and within budget.
The successful candidate has strong interior design experience, preferably in higher education, with involvement in all phases of the interior design process and can demonstrate creative involvement with strong project and organizational management skills. Additional requirements include:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Architecture or Interior Design from an accredited higher education institution.
- Diverse interior design experience including a minimum of seven years project lead and management.
- Strong project management skills including defining scope, preparing and managing project budgets and bringing projects in on schedule. Has the ability to lead and successfully work within a cross functional team.
- Experience in programming and conducting user group data collection interviews, establishing space, finishes and furnishings requirements.
- Strong knowledge of materials and specifications, furniture sourcing and vendor resources.
- The ability to select, specify and develop finish palettes and prepare furniture specifications and bid packages, including the leveling of the bid packages. Working knowledge of construction details and mill-work.
- Highly organized and able to envision and manage multiple interior projects in various phases simultaneously.
- Successful track record directing and coordinating work efforts of junior staff with thoughtful, inspirational and collaborative leadership.
- Highly developed communication and presentation skills, specifically with senior management, clients and consultants.
- Talented, self-motivated designer with significant technical ability. Highly organized with acute attention to detail.
- Have a general knowledge of applicable building codes, sustainability, wellness and ADA requirements.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and all Adobe programs, Sketch-Up, In-Design and Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Demonstrate the willingness to learn new technology.
- Higher education design experience, studio and/or in-house.
- Licenses and Professional Accreditation.
- LEED AP, WELL AP, NCIDQ, CPM certification.
- Basic knowledge of Revit and BIM.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Comments Related to End Date
This is a three year term position.
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.