Requisition # 2018-9579
Department Building Services-Custodians
Category Maintenance and Custodial Services
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline 11/22/2018
The Custodian is responsible for all phases of cleaning within the University. Work sites will vary but do include dormitories, athletic buildings, lab/research areas, academic buildings and office areas. Typical tasks will include dusting, mopping the floor, cleaning restrooms, replenishing bathroom supplies, trash removal, vacuuming and extracting carpets, stripping and refinishing of floors, changing light bulbs, and setting up chairs and tables for special events/ meetings.
- Clean bathrooms and fill all dispensers.
- Clean light fixtures and change light bulbs if fixtures can be reached with a 6' ladder.
- Empty trash receptacles. Transfer trash and recyclables to dumpster sites.
- Mop, vacuum, extract, and burnish floor surfaces.
- Inspect assigned work areas for maintenance, cleaning and safety needs.
- Clean stairwells and elevators.
- Spot clean windows.
- Clean building exterior of cigarette butts and debris and shovel snow within the immediate vicinity of a building entrance.
- Set up furniture for special functions.
- Check fire extinguishers.
- Dust wall and horizontal surfaces.
- Extract carpets and strip and refinish floors.
- Distributes exam books.
- Shovel snow and remove ice from building entrances.
- Operate scooters for transporting personnel, trash, materials, etc.
- Work overtime as needed.
- Manually transport furniture.
- Perform other tasks as needed.
- Must be able to comprehend written and oral instructions.
- Must be able to work overtime; before start of shift, at end of shift, week-ends, etc.
- Must have a valid driver's license to operate scooters.
- Must be able to stand or walk 2-4 hours at one time for 6-8 hours per day.
- Must be able to lift or carry up to 10 pounds frequently (34 - 66% of the workday)
- Must be able to lift or carry up to 60 pounds occasionally (up to 33% of the workday) and in a range of motions from floor to shoulder height.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead.
- Must be able to push or pull using forces up to 10 pounds constantly (over 67% of the workday).
- Must be able to push or pull using forces up to 60 pounds occasionally (up to 33% of the workday).
- Must be able to frequently use hands for simple grasping, pushing, or pulling.
- Must be able to bend, push, or pull frequently (34-66% of the work day).
- Must be able to squat, kneel, climb, reach overhead, or lift overhead occasionally (up to 33% of the work day).
- Must be able to climb stairs or ladder, shovel snow, and work outdoors in a variety of environmental conditions.
- Must be able to work at heights, possess full range of body motions and physical agility, and have the ability to maintain balance.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
SEU-Service Employees Inter Union
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Princeton University is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to our careers site.