Assistant Director for Campus Programming & Leadership Development (Temporary)
Job ID: 24828
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3086
Department: Student Involvement
Classification: Student Services Professional IV
Salary Range: $5,195/month - $7,411/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jos State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/up/all/benefits/
About the Position
*This is a 6 month temporary position.*
The Assistant Director for Campus Programming & Leadership Development will coordinate and oversee traditional campus-wide events that will stimulate students' intellectual, personal, and civic growth. The campus events are involvement fairs, club and organization programming support, information tables, major speakers, Tailgate Takeovers, Finals Programs, Leadership Initiative Conference, and Spartan Pride Thursdays. Additionally, this position will assess the needs and interests of the students and will work collaboratively with campus partners to develop new diverse educational, social, and cultural programming aligned with the outcomes of the Division of Student Affairs and with those of the University. This position supervises engagement coordinators and has overall responsibility for the student leadership program as well as the international student programming.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and assessment of a comprehensive student programming plan which delivers quality diverse programs centered around intellectual, personal, and civic growth.
- Overall responsibility for the student leadership program for both emerging and experienced student leaders.
- Responsible for the creation and implementation of student programming, campus-wide events, and leadership programming for international students
- Manage program budgets including securing financial support from sources outside the department.
- Responsible for assessment of programs including development of instruments, data collection, data analysis, and reporting of progress toward program and learning outcomes.
- Passes on instructions from manager/director according to a logical progression of work or follows a prepared schedule or protocol.
- Provides input for performance reviews and operational issues.
- Provides work lead direction to the Student Engagement Coordinators and Management Interns.
- Provide support for events such as Orientation, Move-in Day, Weeks of Welcome, retreats, Commencement, etc.
- Assist in the coordination of events such as the Student Organization Fairs and others as necessary.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a related field plus upper division or graduate coursework in counseling techniques, interviewing and conflict resolution where such are job related and four years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience which includes experience in advising students individually and in groups, and in analysis and resolution of complex student services problems.
A master's degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work or a job-related field may be substituted for one year of professional experience. A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling, guidance or a job-related field may be substituted for two years of the required professional experience for positions with a major responsibility for professional, personal or career counseling.
- Master's Degree in student affairs/higher education, counseling, international studies, international relations, or related field.
- Experience working with international students and international student programs on a college campus.
- Experience planning major programs and events.
- Experience delivering workshops and facilitating.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to facilitate planning committees.
- Ability to understand the impact of programs on various units throughout the University.
- Ability to understand and ensure compliance with logistical policies and procedures including risk management.
- Thorough knowledge of program development and implementation.
- Skilled in staff development and supervision.
- Ability to develop students as leaders and engaged citizens.
- Ability to analyze and assess data from assessments and make appropriate adjustments.
- Ability to manage budgets and to secure outside funding sources through interdepartmental collaborations.
- Skilled in developing marketing strategies and materials, maintaining a webpage, and utilizing social media.
- Knowledge of student development theory.
- Ability to develop and supervise a paraprofessional level staff member.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Knowledge of methods, procedures, practices, and activities of the program area.
- Ability to interpret and apply program rules and regulations.
November 8, 2018
Application Screening begins November 26, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046