Faculty Part-time - Graphic Design, Web Design, and Animation
Job no: 493964
Position Type: Faculty Part Time/Adjunct
Benefit Status: Non-Benefited - Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Art and Design
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
Applications Open: Jan 10 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The Art and Design Department in the College of Fine Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences seeks applicants for various adjunct positions for the 2018-19 academic year. Courses are available in web design, interactive media, interactive design, and mobile app design at the undergraduate level. Additional needs exist in all areas of graphic design and in animation to cover upcoming sabbaticals.
Successful candidates will demonstrate passionate engagement in their own practice, research, and scholarly activities. The Art Department emphasizes conceptual and aesthetic innovation while encouraging student-centered pedagogy. The University of Massachusetts Lowell is committed to increasing diversity in its faculty, staff, and student populations. The Art Department seeks candidates who can contribute to that goal. We encourage you to apply and identify your strengths in this area.
This is a time of rapid growth for the Art and Design programs. The Art Department is part of a large research university. Interdisciplinary collaborations and cross-pollination with other colleges, departments and programs are encouraged.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- M.F.A. or PhD in graphic design, animation, web design, game design or a closely related field
- Substantial portfolio that demonstrates expertise and success in creative and professional practice
- Experience with a variety of platforms including smartphones, tablets and web browsers
- A minimum of two years of teaching experience at the college level and professional experience in interactive design, web design or mobile application design (three or more years of experience in the industry preferred)
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in UX, concept development, requirement elicitation, usability testing and design validation
- Expertise in writing code and teaching students how to write code
- Experience with a diverse student body
- Acknowledgment within the field with publications and/or creative work, awards or other professional recognition
- Understanding and research on the theoretical and critical aspects of Human-Computer Interaction, user-centered design, usability and user interface design
- Demonstrated ability to mentor students and teach them practical industry skills
- Experience leading students through real-life work experiences and collaborative professional projects
- Ability to network and lead collaborations with other institutions, industry, and research groups
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Special Instructions to Applicants:
**This will continue to be an ongoing posting to develop a pool of applicants for openings as they arise.
This is a part-time, non-benefited position.
Please include a CV, cover letter, teaching philosophy, and a portfolio with descriptions of works with your application. Names and contact information for three references will be required at the time of application.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.