Director of Annual Giving
Founded in 1850, Illinois Wesleyan University (IWU) is an independent, residential, Liberal Arts University with roughly 1,750 students. Nestled between three metropolitan areas (Chicago, St. Louis, MO, Indianapolis, IN), the Bloomington-Normal community is home to four institutions of higher education, and numerous eateries, fun activities, and civic engagement opportunities. Through the promotion and affirmation of diversity in all its forms, IWU creates a campus environment where students, faculty and staff will engage people from different backgrounds and encounter a plurality of experiences.
The University’s Office for Advancement invites applications for the Director of Annual Giving. This full-time position will provide leadership and strategic direction for all aspects of the annual giving program for Illinois Wesleyan University to maintain a successful stream of projectable and predictable unrestricted giving in support of the University’s priorities. The Director will design an execute data-driven and evidence-based strategies to guide the overall direction for annual giving programs with a focus on engagement, donor retention strategies, and cultivation of prospects. The Director will manage a portfolio of prospects for Wesleyan Fund leadership gifts. This position reports to the Assistant Vice President of Engagement.
- Establish short and long-term strategic vision for annual giving efforts and build a multi-channel approach to cultivation, solicitation, education and stewardship that includes direct mail, email, social media, giving days, volunteers, phone programs, giving circles and leadership giving societies.
- Maintain production of calendars for multiple giving campaigns to keep messages on schedule and communicate deadlines to team members and external partners as required. Prepare and execute complex multi-channel communications ensuring segmentation, visual elements, and branding. Work with Marketing Communications team to develop marketing materials.
- Coordinate with Advancement Services for data ensuring strategic identification, qualification, and cultivation activities for prospects for analyzing giving history and other elements. Conduct statistical analysis of alumni and donor demographics and giving. Develop reports for the annual giving program to determine goals, track metrics, assess trends, set strategies to ensure accurate coding and tracking of all annual contributions.
- Manage leadership gift level prospects through correspondence and face-to-face visits.
- Create stewardship programs as needed as part of a comprehensive annual giving program.
- Develop and manage the Annual Giving budget for the Advancement department.
- Supervise professional staff (Associate Director of Annual Giving, Engagement and Annual Giving Officer) and student workers.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of three years’ applicable experience; with 5-7 years of professional experience.
- Experience in managing annual fundraising programs; including direct mail, online solicitation and Phonathon/Call Center program management experience.
- Experience in higher education advancement/development environment preferred; non-profit will be considered.
- Experience working with donor database systems.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Please send a cover letter, resume and the contact information for three professional references to Human Resources. Within your cover letter, please indicate how you learned of this opening. The University is committed to an environment of diversity and inclusion. Please feel free to share any opportunities you have had in collaborating in a diverse, multicultural and inclusive setting. Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled.
Illinois Wesleyan University
Human Resources, Holmes 209
1312 N. Park Street
Bloomington, IL 61701
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 309-556-1710 (please use cover sheet)
The final candidate will pass a pre-employment background investigation.
Illinois Wesleyan University’s sexual misconduct policy may be accessed at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/SexualMisconductPolicy.html.
Illinois Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusive excellence; details at www.iwu.edu/diversity.