Academic Dean, School of Arts and Sciences
Job Summary/Basic Function:
This position is responsible for directing the operations of the School of Arts & Sciences’ Department of Mathematics and Natural Sciences.
• Assists the Dean in the development and maintenance of curriculum and courses representative of the discipline and supportive of the educational objectives of the college.
• Assists the Dean in evaluating, recruiting and recommending the appointment of faculty.
• Monitors student success, including student retention and progression data.
• Develops semester course and laboratory schedules.
• Assists in the development of the department budget recommendation; supplies data and statistics; administers assigned budgets.
• Recommends faculty for tenure and promotion as appropriate.
• Produces a variety of reports.
• Reviews problems between faculty members or between faculty and students.
• Teaches courses using face-to-face, hybrid, and/or online learning formats.
• Participates in the recruitment and advising of students.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
Please note that this position will be filled pending funding availability.
• Knowledge of the fields of Mathematics and the Natural Sciences.
• Knowledge of accreditation requirements.
• Knowledge of assessment and strategic planning strategies.
• Knowledge of budget development and management principles.
• Knowledge of classroom practices, teaching methodologies, assessment systems, and educational technology.
• Skill in the delegation of responsibility and authority.
• Skill to make timely decisions.
• Skill in the operation of computers and job related software programs.
• Skill in decision-making and problem solving.
• Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a doctoral degree in a course of study in the related field.
• Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require three to five years of related experience.
Doctoral Degree in the field of Mathematics or Natural Science