BI Report Specialist
The CU Office of Advancement manages and coordinates administrative functions to support the campus-based fundraising field staff. These functions include communications, database management, estate gift planning, gift processing, marketing, research and other services. These centralized services place the institution in an optimal position to attract substantial support from the philanthropic sector.
The BI Report Specialist reports to the Director of Reporting and is responsible for providing exceptional customer service and support to campus partners for their business intelligence, reporting, and data analysis needs. Responding to requests submitted through the centralized report/data queue, the BI Analyst will work closely with clients and IT Teams to turn data into critical information and knowledge that can be used to make sound business decisions. A successful candidate will have a healthy appetite for challenging the status quo, looking beyond the obvious, and has great experience influencing change across a distributed system. This position is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Confer with clients to determine specifications for data requests, project design, and reporting needs.
- Translate business requirements into specifications that will be used to drive a data mart/data model design and configuration.
- Work closely with clients to design, test, create, and implement new reporting/dashboard solutions including complex reports with drill down, drill through, and parameterized functionality.
- Provide technical assistance and cross training of end users and technical support staff in use of internal and external reporting technologies.
- Develop and maintain documentation of all standard and customized report requirements.
- Monitor, analyze, test, and correct existing reports. Identify, propose, and implement processes for improving reliability and efficiency in an evolving reporting environment.
- Assist with ad hoc reporting and data analysis projects as needed.
- Actively participate as a member of the team in project initiatives and decision-making opportunities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of data management and reporting processes
- Ability to utilize:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- PL/SQL Developer
- Code Control Software (e.g. MS Visual SourceSafe)
- FTP software
- Ellucian Higher Education Advance applications
- Crystal Reports
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, complex environment to meet personal and team goals
- Ability to provide technical assistance to stakeholders
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information
- Ability to manage multiple projects, follow-up, bring projects to completion and meet deadlines
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and their application environment
- Expert interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, including the ability to articulate technical information to non-technical users
- Strong analytical, logical and problem-solving skills
What we offer:
Salary: The salary has been established at $60,000
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent professional experience. (The educational requirement may be substituted with professional experience on a year-for-year basis)
- Two (2) years of business intelligence report experience with demonstrated proficiency in using BI reporting tools
- Experience using Ellucian Advance or other higher education constituent database software
- Experience with Cognos
- Experience with CRM software (such as Salesforce)
- Significant level of knowledge and competency working with relational databases in an Oracle client/server environment
- Proficiency with SQL and writing queries against complex database structures as well as developing stored procedures, views, functions, triggers, and advanced logical methods.
- Experience with logical and physical data modeling concepts
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by 11/16/2018. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50206 - Advancement Operations
Posting Date: Nov 7, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Josh Brumley
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00752820