Clinical Staff Pharmacist - Veterinary Teaching Hospital
College of Veterinary Medicine
Veterinary Teaching Hospital
Clinical Staff Pharmacist
The University of Illinois, College of Veterinary Medicine invites applicants to apply for a full-time (100%) academic professional position as Clinical Staff Pharmacist in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital. The primary functions of this role will be to dispense pharmaceuticals at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital Pharmacy in accordance with Illinois State and Federal Pharmacy laws and regulations, and to serve as the Pharmacist on-duty, providing oversight and direction for all activities as they relate to the practice of pharmacy in an academic hospital environment. Opportunities for leadership, teaching, and scholarship are also available.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Pharmacy Operation and Management (75%)
- Provide oversight and direction regarding all activities and all employees as they relate to the practice of pharmacy while serving as the Pharmacist.
- Dispense pharmaceuticals in accordance with Federal and State of Illinois policies and regulations
- Oversee maintenance of security provisions to be used when the pharmacy is closed
- Maintain the record-keeping system for the purchase, sale, delivery, possession, storage, inventory and safekeeping of drugs
- Assist in monitoring VTH pharmaceuticals for pricing updates, information and reports
- Assist in the maintenance of the VTH pharmacy computer systems database for costing/adjusting values of pharmaceuticals and compliance with Robinson-Patman Act.
- Compound medications as directed
- Other duties as assigned to further the mission of the unit
Consultation and Collaboration (10%)
- Collaborate with pharmacy and hospital staff on pharmacy issues
- Provide faculty, staff, students, and clients with pharmaceutical information regarding the clinical aspects of the pharmacy
- Assist in pharmaceutical documentation in veterinary medicine publications
Education and Instruction (15%)
- Provide pharmaceutical instruction to faculty, staff and all four years of professional veterinary students
- Participate in teaching visiting pharmacy students and Parkland veterinary technician students during rotations at the VTH
- Assist with training of incoming faculty, house officers and staff
The successful candidate must possess a Bachelor's of Science degree in Pharmacy or a Doctor of Pharmacy degree from an ACPE approved College of Pharmacy with the ability to apply for IL Registered Pharmacist licensure. The successful candidate must also have a minimum of two years' experience working within a pharmacy setting, and have knowledge of pharmacy computer systems and pharmacy practice rules and regulations.
Preference will be given to those who gained experience through veterinary pharmacy residency training or other relevant coursework or training specific to veterinary pharmacies. Candidates that demonstrate the ability to effectively deliver pharmacy training to veterinary and pharmacy students, that have experience in veterinary pharmacy, hospital pharmacy and/or compounding are preferred. Additionally, being a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pharmacists, the International College of Veterinary Pharmacy, or a fellow of the Society of Veterinary Hospital Pharmacist will be viewed favorably.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and skills. University of Illinois offers employees a generous package of benefits.
This is a regular, full-time (100%) academic professional position (12-month, non-tenure tract).
PROPOSED STARTING DATE
At the conclusion of the search
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by November 21 th , 2018. The review of applications will begin immediately; however, no hiring decision will be made until after the close date. Consideration will continue until suitable candidates are identified. Interested applicants are invited to apply online at https://go.illinois.edu/Staff_Pharmacist . Applicants should include a cover letter stating career goals and interests, resume, and names including contact information of three or more references. Questions should be directed to:
Dr. Jennifer Reinhart
Assistant Professor, and Search Chair
Department of Veterinary Clinical Medicine
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Veterinary Medicine
Title: Clinical Staff Pharmacist - Veterinary Teaching Hospital
Open Date: 11/07/2018
Close Date: 11/21/2018
Organization Name: Veterinary Teaching Hospital