Department of Education - FIELD EXPERIENCE COORDINATOR
Vacancy ID S2361 Job Title FIELD EXPERIENCE COORDINATOR Department Department of Education School/Parent Organization Humanities and Sciences Parent Org Division Provost and Academic Affairs Division Employment Category Fulltime-Regular Anticipated start date 11/26/2018 If temporary, expected end date Hours per week 37.5 Weeks Per Year 52.20 Normal Start Time 08:30 Normal End Time 17:00 Position/Job Summary
As a member of the All College Teacher Education Committee (ACTEC) leadership team, oversee all field placement policies, procedures and logistics for student teachers and students in Department of Education courses. Collaborate with faculty members in the Ithaca College teacher education programs and with P-12 education partners on placement and assessment of field experiences. Conduct outreach to schools and community education programs to develop, maintain, and expand field placement opportunities. Manage field placement records and the data collection process for field experiences. Coordinate the assessments of field experiences by students, mentor teachers, and faculty and provide detailed records of students' field-based experiences to the Accreditation Director and program coordinators. Serve as the Ithaca College edTPA coordinator, working with New York State Department of Education, school and district partners, Ithaca College supervising faculty, and student teachers to ensure that teacher candidates are able to complete the edTPA. Serve as a resource on campus regarding service opportunities related to field-based experience and education outreach.
1. Initiate and implement outreach efforts with P-12 teachers, administrators, and community educators in order to solicit and maintain partnerships for field experiences and other college/community collaborations. Develop, maintain and expand field placement experience opportunities for students in Ithaca College teacher education programs and Department of Education courses. Meet with school principals and community educators to build relationships between Ithaca College and the local schools and community education programs, discuss the mission and values of the Ithaca College Teacher Education programs and the expectations for student teachers and other Ithaca College education students in their buildings. Collaborate with faculty program coordinators to explore statewide and national placement possibilities for students in hard-to-place content areas.
2. Act as a member of the All College Teacher Education Committee (ACTEC) leadership team to develop ACTEC and Humanities and Sciences policies and procedures related to field experiences for teacher education candidates and students in Department of Education courses; identify, develop, and align student field-based experiences with the applicable program and New York State certification requirements and standards; plan, create materials for, and facilitate ACTEC bi-weekly meetings and retreats, Annual Teacher Education faculty meetings and Unit Education Advisory Committee meetings.
3. Develop and manage systems to facilitate field-based experiences, including: maintaining the Taskstream field experience database, maintaining the on-line Field Experience Record form for pre-student teaching field experiences; preparing and processing field experience paperwork for all student teachers and students in Education Department courses; and approving cooperating/mentor teacher payments at the end of student teaching placements. Monitor databases and communicate with faculty program coordinators to ensure all teacher education candidates meet New York State field experience pre-requisites for student teaching. Provide reports and data on student placements to program coordinators and the Accreditation Coordinator, as required.
4. Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
5. Provide professional development for student teachers, cooperating/mentor teachers, and other P-12 partners. Facilitate field experience orientations for students and P-12 partners, in collaboration with faculty program coordinators, providing students and teachers with specific details about the requirements of each field experience and the curricular goals of these opportunities. Conduct professional development workshops on edTPA requirements, and other field experience related policies and current issues.
6. Coordinate the processing of Ithaca College practicum agreements with partner schools; serve as primary point of contact with the school district human resources departments and administration, and the College's Office of General Counsel; answer questions, communicate formal requests for placements, resolve problems.
7. Serve as a liaison with New York State Department of Education and the New York State Consortium of Educator Preparation Programs in order to participate in state level conversation about teacher education and field experiences. Stay updated on NYSED policy and implementation requirements and communicate changes to Ithaca College teacher education faculty, teacher candidates, and school partners. Review current Ithaca College policies and procedures to ensure they align with policy changes at the state and federal levels.
8. Recruit classroom teachers and community educators for Department of Education courses with required field experiences. Review field experience applications to assign the appropriate placement for each student based on their major, the course requirements, and certification requirements (if applicable). Serve as a liaison between the college and cooperating teachers. Coordinate evaluations by classroom teachers, and provide reports to faculty. Maintain a record of evaluations for reviews of professional dispositions and admission to professional education.
9. Coordinate all assessments and evaluations connected to student teaching and field experiences. Maintain and distribute the electronic assessment and evaluation instruments for use by students, faculty, and cooperating/mentor teachers and facilitate effective data collection for national accreditation and ACTEC program assessment purposes; monitor and track student submission of field experience record forms; ensure confidentiality and validity of evaluations of students, mentor teachers, and faculty supervisors. Analyze assessment data and collaborate with faculty program coordinators to review data and revise student teaching placements and program curriculum to ensure student teachers are adequately prepared for entry into the profession.
10. Develop comprehensive knowledge and understanding of edTPA and research effective edTPA practices through membership in AACTE online and participation in professional development workshops, webinars and conferences. Coordinate edTPA requirements for teacher education candidates; negotiate with school partners to ensure teacher candidate have access to and permissions for videotaping in classrooms. Provide edTPA workshops for teacher candidates to teach edTPA expectations and processes for submission.
11. Conduct visits to field experience sites and provide on-site observation of students, when necessary. Serve as a point of contact for mentor teachers to discuss any concerns, follow-up with and provide feedback to the program coordinator and appropriate faculty member, and assist in resolution of any concerns.
12. Maintain website and other on-line sources of information for Ithaca College teacher education students, cooperating/mentor teachers, and faculty related to field-based experiences, including developing content and updating materials and policy statements.
Master's degree in education or closely related field and classroom teaching experience; familiarity with education policy and certification expectations; demonstrated ability to develop professional relationships, conduct outreach, and work collaboratively; excellent attention to detail; strong organizational, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and the ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment; experience working with data and in-depth knowledge of database and spreadsheet programs, electronic portfolio and/or content management systems; ability to prioritize projects and handle multiple tasks are required. Familiarity with NYSED policies and experience working with teacher education field based programs preferred.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume, cover letter that specifically addresses the qualifications and responsibilities of the position, and a list of three professional references. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Work authorization (select one): Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position Department description College Description
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. We offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.
We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.
We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.
When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.
Nestled in the heart of New York State's scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger's as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu
Market Hiring Range FLSA Status Exempt Is this position eligible for benefits? Yes
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Reference List
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).