Academic Department Administrator
Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The Columbian College of Arts and Sciences (CCAS) is the intellectual and creative backbone of the university, a place where the arts, the humanities, the social sciences, and the natural sciences come together to form a nexus of ideas and opportunity. As a leader among the nation's liberal arts institutions because of an innovative curriculum that emphasizes perspectives, analyses, and communication, undergraduate students are equipped with the competencies needed to be effective and responsible citizens of the 21st Century.
The Corcoran School of the Arts and Design bridges the George Washington University's (GW) academically robust programs in the arts with Corcoran's creative and inspired scholarship. Part of GW's Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, the school functions as an incubator for artists and practitioners in arts-related fields, and serves to enrich students who are taking classes in other areas of the university. As such, it provides a platform for engagement that bridges creative expression and practical application with the breadth and depth of the larger liberal arts education.
The Academic Department Administrator reports to the Program Head for Studio Arts.
• Coordinates all logistical aspects within the Corcoran including evaluations, space, food and beverages, print and digital program materials (including graduate manual), graduate student recruitment, speaker travel, retreats, among other tasks. Submits FixIt requests to facilities.
• Answers routine requests for information from current students, prospective students, and the public, and directs them to appropriate sources, offices, or advisors.
• Develops and monitors budgets and prepares and processes all financial related matters, including purchase orders, supplemental compensation, invoices, honorarium, stipends, volunteer appreciation recognition, and expense reimbursements. Manages and orders supplies for the department. Maintains department P-card. Ensures budget compliance with institutional policies and procedures.
• Supports the administrative operations of the department, to include: developing and maintaining databases (such as lists of alumni and email distribution lists); managing departmental and non-departmental space requests; scheduling, supporting/attending, producing agendas and minutes; preparing correspondence designed to effect action or publicize department activities and to disseminate information about relevant events and opportunities to the department community (notices of field schools, jobs, internships and other opportunities for students); editing and submission of the schedule of classes for both the regular and summer semesters, editing bulletin copy, helping with new course proposals and program changes; and compiling/distributing various assessments.
• Assist Program Head with key academic tasks, namely preparing academic schedule, collecting and storing syllabi, overseeing the deployment, collection, and tabulation of student course evaluations.
• Hires/supervise work study students
• Manages the payroll for all hourly employees employed under the Corcoran aliases and maintains leave records.
• Regularly updates departmental web platform and helps to compile material for the department newsletter.
• Tracks donations and manages departmental correspondence with donors.
• Processes classroom and academic technology requests.
• Maintains records of students' independent research and internships.
• Liaison between departments and offices within CCAS and GW
• Coordinates the vendor registration process for Corcoran and submits requisitions and payments for goods and services in Oracle Financials Enterprise Accounting System (EAS) on their behalf. Monitors, documents and coordinates annual endowment spending and payments of honoraria. Reviews expense reports and reimbursement requests to ensure expenditures meet University requirements, and in some cases requirements of sponsored projects.
• This position performs other duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED plus 3 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications:
• Knowledge of the disciples of studio arts perspective
• Understanding and experience with scheduling
• Superior organizational skills, and attention to detail
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Corcoran Family Administration Sub-Family Academic Department Administration Stream Service and Support Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Mon-Fri, 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007756 Job Open Date: 11/07/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your expected salary range?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter