Student Service Specialist (Multiple Positions)
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date May 2, 2018
Position Title Student Service Specialist (Multiple Positions)
Vacancy # V-1482
Department Student Development and Campus Life
Division Student Development and Campus Life
Reporting to the Associate Director, the Student Services Specialist (SSS) is a member of the Red Hawk Central (RHC) staff who provides comprehensive student services support to students, parents, guests and the University community on a daily basis. The Student Service Specialists primary duties will be focused on serving in a daily 1-Stop counter staffing rotation; providing hands-on support for main lobby and self-help station needs; meeting one-on-one with students to address inquiries that require further exploration and/or discern matters that require escalation to partner offices; supporting all enrollment management/retention initiatives as assigned; assisting with RHC Call Center activities; and supporting the growth and development of RHC student workers. The Student Service Specialist is an integral, public facing representative of customer service and University policy and procedure. He/she will use their knowledge of University policy, procedures and resources in the areas of registrar, student accounts and financial aid to support the strategic goals and objectives of RHC, meet and exceed service needs of all students in RHC.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee the traffic flow and student needs in the main lobby and self-help station areas as assigned;
- Meet individually with students on a case-by-case basis to further research and address inquiries and when applicable, discern matters that require escalation to partner offices for resolution;
- Support RHC enrollment management/retention initiatives and campaigns as assigned;
- Assist with RHC Call Center activities as needed;
- Support the growth and development of undergraduate and graduate student workers;
- Participate in regularly scheduled cross-training in order to provide excellent customer service and precise, seamless support for services that support financial aid, student accounts, registrar and advising;
- Understand and efficiently utilize Banner forms, NEST, Degree Works, TouchNet and Starfish;
- Work in close partnership with University offices and colleagues to address and resolve student service inquiries, questions and concerns in a timely manner;
- Receive and respond to inquiries via phone, digital media, email and/or in person;
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve customer issues while maintaining confidentiality of student/parent financial and personal information;
- Demonstrate the ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply established law, regulations, policies, procedures, precedents, and guidelines as determined by university policy, federal and/or state regulations and apply principles in the standard course of official duties;
- Assist in maintaining accurate student contact records both in Banner and Starfish for regulatory service and accountability purposes;
- Refer higher complex matters to the Associate Director as per protocol;
- Consult with the Associate Director on a regular basis to discuss progress, identify areas for growth, and effect resolutions;
- Represent RHC/University at meetings, seminars and divisional events;
- Participate in regularly scheduled meetings related to assigned responsibilities and student service needs;
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Prepare written/email correspondence in the course of official duties;
- Maintain essential records, paperwork and files in a confidential, thorough manner;
- Prepare clear, accurate, and informative statements and reports with respect to RHC business operations, statistics and activities;
- Actively support the programs and initiatives within the Student Academic Services (SAS) unit as well as the Student Development & Campus Life (SDCL) division;
- Serve on appropriate committees as assigned;
- Participate in the extended and evening hour rotation provided by RHC office each semester;
- Performs other duties as assigned;
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor's degree supplemented by a Master's degree in a field related to the position to be filled or an equivalency as determined by the appointing authority.
- Three years of professional experience in an institution of higher education or other fields that is directly related to the functions of the position to be filled or equivalency as determined by the appointing authority.
- Significant experience with responding to customer inquiries via phone, email and/or in person.
- Strong listening, problem analysis, solving skills; and interpersonal skills.
- Organizational talents with an attention to detail.
- Experience working with diverse student populations, demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within a fast paced environment.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION