The department of Physiology is seeking a lab technician whose responsibilities will be peforming electrophysiological techniques (e.g. whole cell patch clamp). The primary role will be to acquire electrophysiliogical data from cells, tissue, and whole animal (mouse) models. Additional techniques in molecular biology and biochemistry will be needed to support primarily electrophysiological experiments. This includes working with DNA/RNA, protein, and cell culture. Additional duties will be to analyze the data and assist in manuscript preparation. This requires competency working with computer analysis apps, graphical programs, and writing. This position is also to provide assistance in overall lab management and institutional/Federal compliance policies. Additional activities include attending relevant scientific seminars, training opportunities, and Departmental events.
IEBC (Internal Employee Being Considered)
Type of Position
Position Time Status
Click here for more information about equivalencies:
Required Related Experience
No experience required.
Required License/ Registration/Certification
Moving and lifting object from floor to above shoulders up to 25 pounds. Standing and sitting at computer terminals and laboratory bench completing repetitive tasks for extensive periods of time. Continuous working with materials requiring personal protective equipment in accord with EH&S policy.
Primarily Days Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm, some evenings, weekends are possible.
Voltage-clamp and similar electrophysiological techniques.
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
Preferred degree in a related field and research laboratory experience
Deadline to Apply
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * University of Kentucky HealthCare recognizes a set of values that guide us in our daily interactions. By applying for a position within UK Healthcare, you are indicating your commitment and expressing your agreement to our five values. These values are diversity, innovation, respect, compassion, and teamwork. Please choose one of the UK Healthcare values and give a specific example when you exhibited this quality in your professional experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please indicate your years of paid work experience within a biochemical or molecular biology research laboratory.
- More than 0, up through 1 year
- More than 1 year, up through 3 years
- More than 3 years, up through 5 years
- More than 5 years, up through 7 years
- More than 7 years
- * What is your highest level of education completed?
- High School or GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's online employment system?
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- HERCjobs.org (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- Institute for Diversity in Health Management
- A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
- None of the Above
- Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter