School of Art: Associate or Full Professor Graphic Design
School of Art: Associate or Full Professor - Graphic Design
Job Class Code: 00021
Posting Number: FRGV0828
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Division/Organization: Division of Academic Affairs
Appointment Period for Non-Tenure Position:
Tenure Status: Tenured
Scope of Job:
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is seeking applications for a graphic design educator, researcher, and BFA Graphic Design Program Coordinator to help lead our large and already successful area into an even more promising future by keeping pace with an ever-changing industry. This is a tenured faculty position (rank of Associate or Full Professor) scheduled to begin Fall 2019.
UTRGV faculty will be expected to demonstrate a strong commitment to student success and to advancing the university, college, and program missions, as well as a commitment to UTRGV's guiding principles (http://www.utrgv.edu/strategic-plan/strategic-plan/index.htm ), which include promoting access to postsecondary education to a diverse student body and to become one of the largest and most successful Hispanic-serving emerging research institutions in the U.S.A.
Terminal degree (MFA, PhD.) required in Graphic Design, Visual Communication or related fields, such as Interaction Design, UX Design or Interface Media. A record of successful university teaching in Graphic Design. Record of professional activity and/or research that demonstrates established national recognition in the field of graphic design is paramount. Candidates will continue professional research that is relevant to the current and future practice of graphic design. Demonstrate outstanding verbal, written, interpersonal communication skills. Applicants should have proven leadership experience within academic, corporate/industry or community environments. Applicants should have a working knowledge of current practice, history and theory of graphic design with a vision towards future developments. A commitment to quality, student-centered education and working as a team member and a demonstrated and ongoing commitment to serving diverse student populations is a must.
• To be eligible for hire at the associate professor rank, candidate must meet the requirements for that rank as established by the school. The successful applicant will receive the appropriate rank and title based on established university and school standards.
• In addition to the requirements for associate professor, appointment at the full professor rank requires an extensive and sustained record of quality research as well as an outstanding record of service, and leadership that would qualify the candidate for tenure at UTRGV.
Discipline Specific Required Qualifications:
• Experience in interdisciplinary collaboration, and forming industry partnerships regionally, nationally, and internationally.
• Record of professional activity and/or research that demonstrates established international recognition
• Curriculum development for Graphic Design.
• Expertise and experience teaching in one or more of the following areas: UI/UX design, animation, motion graphics, 3D, 4D or new media.
• Successful funding procurement and grant activity.
• Graduate-level research/ thesis supervision and advising experience.
• Online teaching experience.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity with experience working with diverse student populations and first-generation students is highly desirable.
The Search Committee will be conducting interviews at the CAA’s 107th Annual Conference in February 2019 in New York, NY.
Salary: Commensurate with Qualifications and Experience
License or Certification Required?: No
Number of Vacancies: 1
Desired Start Date: 09/01/2019
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
UTRGV is a Hispanic-serving Institution dedicated to student success and building a diverse faculty committed to working in a multicultural environment. UTRGV has an NSF ADVANCE grant to increase the representation of women in STEM fields and to promote a positive, family friendly workplace for all faculty. We strongly encourage applications from women and minorities.
Open Date: 11/01/2018
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
*Social Security Number
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission.
Complete all sections on the application. If you are applying for the first time please complete all biographical information including address, email and phone. You may update this at any time by selecting to edit your profile in the application. Security sensitive; All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). CBCs will be conducted for all candidates invited for an on-campus interview.
To apply for this job posting visit: careers.utrgv.edu
UTRGV on line APPLICATION
Letter of Interest (addressing your ability to meet the above responsibilities)
Teaching Philosophy - Statement of teaching philosophy and Artistic Philosophy - Statement addressing current creative work in relationship to the future of the graphic design discipline
Unofficial transcripts - (graduate and undergraduate - Once hired, official transcript are required)
List of 3 References - List should include name, title, contact information, email, phone
- Include applicant’s artist website address & provide URLs to online video files where necessary
-A PDF of up to 20 images of personal work representing 10 of your creative works.
- A PDF of 20 images of student work with accompanying image lists
- If possible, student work should reflect the content of the courses this individual would be teaching at UTRGV.
UTRGV is a distributed institution. As such and as assigned, the position may
require presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Work is
performed primarily in a general office environment. This position is security sensitive
and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code
§51.215. The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of
Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least
135 days in length. This position has the option to elect the Optional Retirement
Program (ORP) instead of TRS, subject to the position being 40 hours per week
and at least 135 days in length.
Texas law requires faculty members whose primary language is not English to
demonstrate proficiency in English as determined by a satisfactory paper-based
test score of 500 (computer-based of 173 or internet-based of 61) on the Test of
English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a satisfactory test score of 6.0 on the
International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Incomplete applications
will not be considered. All positions are subject to budget approval.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/19541
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency