Graphic Design and Communications Specialist
Graphic Design and Communications Specialist
Closing Date/Time: 12/3/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Marketing and Communications
This full-time (100%, 40 hours per week) Graphic Design and Communications Specialist designs and produces marketing and communications print and online collateral, and technical publications. Conducts marketing, communications, and graphic design; performs related duties as assigned.
In addition, a Graphic Design and Communications Specialist position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time, or substitute assignments as needs arise.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 12,000 students per term, of which 44% are LatinX, 5% multi-ethnic, 3% Asian, 1% African-American, 1% Filipino, .25% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and .19% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2017. At Cabrillo, over 52% of students are students of color and 59% are economically disadvantaged. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
Cabrillo College has a tradition of collegial governance, and staff possess a long history of participatory governance in all levels of decision-making at the college. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its students and community.
- Plans, designs and coordinates the production of various college publications following established policy
- Prepares finished art work for printed and online materials that communicates ideas effectively and is aesthetically pleasing in form, color, shape, texture, and style
- Operates standard office equipment used in graphic art production, desktop publishing software, and graphic design software
- Facilitates the production of materials for distribution both in print and online and oversees the printing process
- Produces a broad range of materials, such as layouts, brochures, annual reports, schedules, catalogs, multimedia presentations, e-newsletters, display visuals, imagery for presentations, T-Shirts, banners, posters, advertisements, and social media
- Interviews clients to determine target audience, objectives, message, deadline, and budget; prepares bid specifications
- Negotiates details of securing bids from printers, vendors, and media representatives
- Prepares purchase requisitions
- Creates, maintains, and modifies web pages
- Utilizes marketing work request form system; prioritizes projects accordingly
- Establishes and adheres to approved production schedules, including marketing annual calendar
- Performs a variety of tasks related to the technical, design, production, editing and proofreading of print and multi-media
- Coordinates with college students, faculty, staff, and vendors to solicit and organize materials and information to be included in the production of authorized publications
- Develops and implements communication strategies within established guidelines
- Writes a variety of documents such as advertising, and publications copy
- Responds to student, staff, faculty, and public inquiries regarding the college, providing factual information as appropriate
- Maintains records and digital archive of photos, including current/past projects
- Prepares reports, correspondence, and other written materials utilizing a computer and various software
- Trains and directs the work of temporary and student workers
- May require driving for position-related duties
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to completion of two (2) years of college with major coursework in graphic design, digital media, marketing, journalism, or a closely related field AND three (3) years of graphic design/production experience involving coordination, design and technical production of major publications.
Please note: Additional experience as outlined above may be substituted for the education on a year-for-year basis.
- Principles, practices, and techniques of graphic design, marketing, communications and public information including line, form, scale, and color
- Principles and practices of public and community relations and print and electronic media, and video
- Theories and techniques of design, marketing, expository writing, and editing
- Principles, theories, and applications of design, graphics, reproduction, digital publishing, web publishing, photography and video production processes, and commonly used social media
- Web design and basic HTML programming
- Standard office practices and procedures
- Filing and maintaining digital archives
- Commonly used graphic design and desktop publishing software such as Adobe Creative Cloud programs (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat) as well as other related computer applications
- Current graphic design and desktop publishing technology
- Digital photography techniques
- Adhere to brand guidelines
- Select appropriate design elements for print, digital, and social media materials
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the community
- Create, maintain and modify web pages
- Analyze complex technical problems, evaluate alternatives, and develop creative recommendations
- Prepare artwork for press checks and printing; serve as a liaison between campus and external vendors
- Exercise sound judgment within general policy guidelines
- Produce clear, effective, and accurate written materials
- Work in a deadline driven environment
- Organize and maintain accurate records and digital files
- Set priorities, coordinate multiple projects, and meet critical deadlines
- Compile information from a variety of sources and present it in a clear and effective manner
- Work independently, as well as part of a team
- Layout, create and produce visually attractive and appropriate college publications
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Utilize Mac operating system
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Possession of and ability to maintain a valid California driver's license and a safe driving record during the course of employment
Current Salary: *$3,889 to $4,287 per month to start; seven step schedule to $5,211 per month. Full-time assignment, 12 months per year. Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. with evenings and weekends as required. Classified employees are required to join the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
* Cabrillo College reserves the right at its discretion to hire classified and confidential employees at a higher starting step placement, up to step three, in acknowledgment of an individual's previous job-related work experience. Please note: It is the applicants responsibility to ensure their application materials include the work related experience they wish to be considered for a higher step placement. The Human Resources department will make their determination based on the information in the application materials received.
Cabrillo College currently provides a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents.
The Cabrillo Classified Employees Union (CCEU) is the exclusive bargaining representative for classified employees. Classified employees who elect to join CCEU agree to have a monthly payroll deduction equal to the current membership dues rate, which is generally a percentage of gross monthly compensation.
**To be considered, each applicant MUST SUBMIT:
- Completed online Employment Application
- Job-related resume
- Verification of educational and experience qualifications (Foreign transcripts must be translated to determine equivalency to U.S. standards. Any fee for such translation is paid by the applicant.)
- Transcripts from all colleges attended showing degree conferred, if applicable (unofficial transcripts, copies, and downloads are acceptable) to demonstrate the qualification re: college coursework listed in this announcement. Please note diplomas are not accepted in place of college transcripts. If selected it is the responsibility of the candidate to provide official transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or other documents as may be requested. OR
- Verification of experience qualifications:
- Experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. Applicant must provide written evidence that proves additional experience is equivalent for purposes of substitution
Please notify the Human Resources Department if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Please Note: To ensure an accurate evaluation of your application materials, please submit information regarding your education, experience, knowledge and abilities as they relate to the minimum qualifications. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces/sections or note "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: personal photos, social security number, birth place, birth date, age, and gender.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a search committee, which will determine the applicants to invite for interviews based on appraisal of qualifications as documented by application materials submitted. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an invitation for an interview. Performance exam(s) may be administered.
Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis screening results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Application Deadline: Application and attached required materials must be successfully submitted by 11:59 p.m. on: Monday, December 3, 2018.
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body.
Cabrillo College currently provides full-time employees a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents. Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
Full-time and *part-time classified employees are required to join the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis.
Note: Classified-hourly employees are not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues, service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate based on gross salary per month.
*Part-time refers to 1,000 hours/125 days or more per fiscal year.
To apply, please visit: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cabrilloedu
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency